Weekly Participation team update, week of March 30

Hi everyone! New week, new accomplishments.

A long list of topics this week:

• Q2 goals planning - your input needed!

Q2 goals planning - your input needed!

What should our Participation goals be in Q2? We’re in the process of discussing this and we’d like to get your input!

Some key aspects of how we think of Participation at Mozilla:

Based on the above, what would you like to see happening that would enable us to test out new ideas quickly and enable deeper connections between different parts of the Mozilla community to increase Mozilla’s impact on our key initiatives and goals? Do you have specific ideas in mind (like One and Done, which we discussed last week and seemed to make a lot of people excited), or do you have any cool hypotheses/experiments you’d like to see us run?

More broadly, how could paid staff (e.g. the Participation team) support volunteer communities to do similar experiments independently? What are the exciting things happening that we could use to 1) give more indirect support and 2) enable more experimentation around Participation to happen as a result?

It would be great to hear from you on this so we can start to put together a list of more solid first experiments in Q2. Our optimistic timeline is to being drafting experiments this week and have something more of a finalized list by mid-next week. The work in progress happens in the open in our shared team folder, and this is a good place to participate by sharing your ideas, thoughts and questions.

Thanks,
David

1 Like

Link [https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/Goals/Topline+Mozilla+CY+2015+Goals] says “Authorization Required” :frowning:

It is the internal tool used by mozilla. @djst or @kinger do you think we can have them ported to wiki so it is available for community too? I think in a similar form we can find it on Mitchell’s blogs or smtg.

These mana pages drive me nuts. Are they always hidden from public view or is it possible to set that as a permission? Anyone knows?

As a plan B we could copy them over to a public wiki page, but if possible I’d prefer to not having to manage two copies. Besides, it’s pretty stupid that the top goals for Mozilla as an organization would be hidden! :smiley:

For now, I’ll just paste the top line goal here:

Top-line Organizational Goal
400MM relationships with the quality of those relationships being 10% are on mobile and 5% are registered Firefox Accounts

Technical detail I came across:

There’s an ldap group that controls access to mana, I don’t think there’s a way to unlock pages out fo that group. I wouldn’t be suprised if you could lock down individual pages further, though.

It’s my understanding that Mana is JIRA+Confluence, which does allow incredibly flexible security options. I don’t know what the reasons are for not allowing a community space on it, or allowing some pages to be public and some not. I assume that there is something that makes it tricky for us or that wouldn’t be the case.

Let me take it on to investigate what people are comfortable having public from the Mana world, and if there is a technical solution for opening those pages up.

I think it will take a few days…stay tuned…

1 Like

@melek who has the guru knowledge told me this:

"So actually yes you can allow anonymous access in a Confluence instance. You have to do two steps:

1 - Activate the anonymous access to all the instance. For that ask an
administrator or if you have admin permission for the instance go to
"Global permissions" and then activate “can use confluence” within the
anonymous section
2 - Activate the anonymous access within
the space. For that go to administration section in the mana space (Left
bottom) and go to the permissions section. In the bottom you will find
different permissions related to anonymous (can view, can add page , can
add comment …) just check the permissions you want to allow an
external user to have "

So after decidign what people are confortable about it seems we have the technical solution.

Thanks @melek!