Mozilla's Strategic Narrative 2016

In Mozlando, Chris Beard shared a clear articulation of Mozilla’s mission, vision, role and how our products will help us get there in the next five years in the form of a Strategic Narrative. We posted the content of this strategic narrative on the community blog today, and would love to hear your thoughts, questions, and concerns about it here!

5 Likes

Here it is! https://blog.mozilla.org/community/2016/01/06/mozillas-strategic-narrative-for-2016-and-beyond/

3 Likes

Here are my thoughts about the whole Mozilla 2020 strategy, that include the 2016 narrative: Mozilla cultural revolution
I think the plan is a good move for Mozilla. However, a sociological analysis could help a lot to improve it: what is ‘being open’? What are ‘Leaders’ and ‘Advocates’? How to articulate our misson with our actions ?..
The way we understand and tell the problem determine the solution we can create.

3 Likes

A suggestion to build on the generosity of the Internet Pioneers by automating as much routine work as possible. We can use the Web to do this as sites finding the best deals for hotels demonstrate; but we cannot expect the IT sector alone to cope with the full complexity and diversity of human activities. What we can do is provide experts in different industries a common means to redesign their own processes and identify the devices they need to automate them.

My universal machine below, for example, enabled a hotel owner to assemble and automatically create objects (as the JSON extract); he needs code devices to generate different output for different people for different purposes - design, construction, purchasing, operations, data exchange for aggregate searches and so on.

I appreciate this may appear radical at first but hope discussion here will promote its development within the overall strategy.

My first poat here has been remarkedly unsuccessful in promoting any discussion, so I want to repeat a question I asked Mark Surman (as a comment on his blog)

I see automation of mainstream routine work as a major area of web development yet to be explored. Do you agree? If so, is the 2020 strategy broad enough to support it?

No answer yet as still “awaiting moderation”, but more important is whether the community believes the strategy broad enough.

I personally think Chris Beard’s version is:

Our Mission
To ensure the Internet is a global public resource open and accessible to all.

Our Vision
An Internet that truly puts people first. An Internet where individuals can shape their own experience. An Internet where people are empowered, safe and independent.

although “safe” has less obvious connotations.

But Mark’s version

is not so clear, as Nicholas Mandil points out:

However, a sociological analysis could help a lot to improve it: what is ‘being open’? What are ‘Leaders’ and ‘Advocates’? How to articulate our misson with our actions ?..

Might Web literacy, for example, be the ability to structure information so that it can be easily manipulated with web code and not necessarily the code itself?

By the way, why are there two versions?

If you disagree with the whole premise, I offer my other comment on Mark’s blog.

Automation of tasks involving analysis of multiple web sources is in its infancy, basically restricted to best deals for travellers looking for hotels, flights and so on, but it demonstrates the potential for automation of mainstream routine tasks. The key is to provide ordinary people with the means to define what should be analysed to help meet their own different objectives – more complex and diverse than the best deals of course but still manageable if properly organised.

I also like Nicholas’s other comment:

The way we understand and tell the problem determine the solution we can create.

Sorry, seems I’m getting more long-winded.

I re-read the blogpost again today, and tried to read some follow ups to this conversation, but can’t find any. What are we going to do next?

For my part I tried make conversations on https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/eworking-proposal/7370 and https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/json-machine/6690 but still cannot find a home!