Firefox Add-on Test Pilot won't install

The Firefox Add-on Test Pilot won’t install on my 64 bit Firefox (51.0.1). I’ve already tried to clean up Firefox, started the browser in safe mode, deactivated my Kaspersky Internet Security, deinstalled and reinstalled Firefox completely… but nothing worked.

After clicking the checkbox in order to install the Test Pilot Add-on, nothing happens except that the Firefox tab is loading and loading and loading… There is no error message.

Every other add on can be installed normally.

Do you have any suggestions, I’m really interested in checking out all the test pilot add-ons.

Best regards
Chris

Which checkbox are you talking about? Can you show us some screenshots or step-by-step instructions of what you’re doing?

Hey Jorge,

sorry for the missunderstanding, I didn’t mean checkbox. I meant button:

After pushing that button, the text changes to:

For every other firefox add-on a pop up message appears which shows me that the add-on is downloaded and asks me if I want to install it or not. But there isn’t…

Do you have any idea?

Best regards
Chris

I have exactly the same issue, though with the 32 bit version of v51.0.1. I click the Install button and it just spins. I let it go for quite a while on the off chance that it would clear itself up, but it apparently does not.

I’m having the same issue. Firefox 51.0.1 64 bits. Arch linux.

Moving this to the Test Pilot category, which I recently learned is a thing. Followup questions: do you have add-ons installed that block scripts or content, like NoScript or Ghostery? Have you checked on the Web Console for error messages?

Hey all,

Thanks for moving this over here, Jorge :+1:

It’s hard to debug three different people’s issues at once, but let’s give it a try. All together now:

• Do you have security software installed?
  • What addons do you have installed?
  • Have you tried Test Pilot before? Is it already installed, but disabled?
  • Can you install the Test Pilot addon in a new profile?
  • Open the Browser Console when the install button is stuck on ‘installing…’, and either post a screenshot, or copy and paste the contents into a pastebin, then paste the pastebin link into this thread.

Hopefully we can get everyone’s issues sorted quickly.

Cheers,

Jared

I have the same problem on 51.0.1 (32-bit) on a 64-bit machine running Windows 10 Pro. I use NoScript but have allowed all the TestPilot page. I have about 2 dozen add-ons installed but this is my 1st attempt to install TP & I can’t get past the initial “Installing” message. I haven’t tried a new profile yet, but this is my Browser Console content after doing a refresh on the install page:

3/1/2017, 12:22:00 PM - Received message: pb.js:39:9
Object { type: “nop” } pb.js:39:9
Invalid URI. Load of media resource failed. browser.xul
Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist. (unknown)
Unchecked lastError value: Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist. ExtensionUtils.jsm:381
TypeError: can’t access dead object rtcDefault.xml:105:42
Unchecked lastError value: Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist. ExtensionUtils.jsm:381
Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at self (“script-src https://testpilot.firefox.com https://ssl.google-analytics.com”). snooze-tabs:1
%c action @ 12:22:10.273 @@router/LOCATION_CHANGE color: inherit;vendor.9c673feb.js:19
prev state Object { addon: Object, browser: Object, experiments: Object, newsletterForm: Object, routing: Object, varianttests: Object } vendor.9c673feb.js:10:28334
action Object { type: “@@router/LOCATION_CHANGE”, payload: Object } vendor.9c673feb.js:10:28334
next state Object { addon: Object, browser: Object, experiments: Object, newsletterForm: Object, routing: Object, varianttests: Object } vendor.9c673feb.js:10:28334
%c action @ 12:22:10.293 setInstalled color: inherit;vendor.9c673feb.js:19
prev state Object { addon: Object, browser: Object, experiments: Object, newsletterForm: Object, routing: Object, varianttests: Object } vendor.9c673feb.js:10:28334
action Object { type: “setInstalled”, payload: Object } vendor.9c673feb.js:10:28334
next state Object { addon: Object, browser: Object, experiments: Object, newsletterForm: Object, routing: Object, varianttests: Object } vendor.9c673feb.js:10:28334
TypeError: this.pref.setCharPref is not a function[Learn More] ieview.js:12:12
%c action @ 12:22:11.415 fetchExperiments color: inherit;vendor.9c673feb.js:19
action Object { type: “fetchExperiments”, payload: Object } vendor.9c673feb.js:10:28334
NS_ERROR_ABORT: Certificate issuer is not built-in. CertUtils.jsm:171
1488388934961 addons.xpi WARN Download of https://testpilot.firefox.com/static/addon/addon.xpi failed: 307 Temporary Redirect
3/1/2017, 12:22:30 PM - Received message: pb.js:39:9
Object { type: “nop” } pb.js:39:9

I can’t get it to install. Same problem hanging at the install button.

Running Firefox 51.0.1 (32-bit) on Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit

BitDefender Internet Security 2015 is running
Addons are
Extensions:
Bitdefender Wallet (disabled)
Skype Click to call (Disabled)
Appearance:
Plugins:
(always activate)
OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Primetime Content Decryption Module provided by Adobe Systems, Incorporated
Widevine Content Decryption Module provided by Google Inc.
(ask to activate)
ActiveTouch General Plugin Container
Adobe Acrobat
Google Update
Microsoft Office 2010 (Office Authorization plug‐in for NPAPI browsers)
Microsoft Office 2010 (allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications)
Silverlight Plug‐In
Zoom launcher ‐ 3.0.1

Test Pilot has never been installed.

As to instlling on a new profile, haven’t tried… do you mean a different OS profile, or something else?

Browser console:
Public-Key-Pins: The certificate used by the site was not issued by a certificate in the default root certificate store. To prevent accidental breakage, the specified header was ignored.[Learn More] testpilot.firefox.com
Public-Key-Pins: The certificate used by the site was not issued by a certificate in the default root certificate store. To prevent accidental breakage, the specified header was ignored.[Learn More] app.ftl
Public-Key-Pins: The certificate used by the site was not issued by a certificate in the default root certificate store. To prevent accidental breakage, the specified header was ignored.[Learn More] experiments.json
Public-Key-Pins: The certificate used by the site was not issued by a certificate in the default root certificate store. To prevent accidental breakage, the specified header was ignored.[Learn More] experiments.ftl
Public-Key-Pins: The certificate used by the site was not issued by a certificate in the default root certificate store. To prevent accidental breakage, the specified header was ignored.[Learn More] addon.xpi
1488390962678 addons.xpi WARN Download of https://testpilot.firefox.com/static/addon/addon.xpi failed: [Exception… “Certificate issuer is not built-in.” nsresult: “0x80004004 (NS_ERROR_ABORT)” location: “JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/CertUtils.jsm :: checkCert :: line 171” data: no] Stack trace: checkCert()@resource://gre/modules/CertUtils.jsm:171 < AddonInstall.prototype.onStopRequest()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:6148
Expected certificate attribute ‘issuerName’ value incorrect, expected: ‘CN=DigiCert SHA2 Secure Server CA,O=DigiCert Inc,C=US’, got: ‘C=US,O=Bitdefender,OU=IDS,CN=Bitdefender Personal CA.Net-Defender’. CertUtils.jsm:109
Expected certificate attribute ‘issuerName’ value incorrect, expected: ‘CN=thawte SSL CA - G2,O=“thawte, Inc.”,C=US’, got: ‘C=US,O=Bitdefender,OU=IDS,CN=Bitdefender Personal CA.Net-Defender’. CertUtils.jsm:109
Certificate checks failed. See previous errors for details. CertUtils.jsm:112
1488390997759 addons.productaddons ERROR Request failed certificate checks: [Exception… “Certificate checks failed. See previous errors for details.” nsresult: “0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)” location: “JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/CertUtils.jsm :: validateCert :: line 113” data: no] Log.jsm:753
1488390997760 Toolkit.GMP ERROR GMPInstallManager.simpleCheckAndInstall Could not check for addons: [Exception… “Certificate checks failed. See previous errors for details.” nsresult: “0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)” location: “JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/CertUtils.jsm :: validateCert :: line 113” data: no] Stack trace: validateCert()@resource://gre/modules/CertUtils.jsm:113 < checkCert()@resource://gre/modules/CertUtils.jsm:155 < downloadXML/</success()@resource://gre/modules/addons/ProductAddonChecker.jsm:130 Log.jsm:753

I’m running firefox (51.0.1, 64bit) on a 64-bit machine running Windows 10 Pro. I only use Kaspersky Protection and HTTPS everywhere as add-ons. This is my first attempt to install the test pilot add-on, and no matter what I tried (clean up Firefox, start the browser in safe mode, deactivated my Kaspersky Internet Security, deinstalled and reinstalled Firefox completely) I can’t get past the installing message.

I’ll try to install it with a new firefox profile, with my actual one this is the content of the browser console after pushing the install button on the test pilot page:

Public-Key-Pins: The certificate used by the site was not issued by a certificate in the default root certificate store. To prevent accidental breakage, the specified header was ignored.[Learn More] chat-icon.c43f51dc.svg
Public-Key-Pins: The certificate used by the site was not issued by a certificate in the default root certificate store. To prevent accidental breakage, the specified header was ignored.[Learn More] email.770851c4.svg
Public-Key-Pins: The certificate used by the site was not issued by a certificate in the default root certificate store. To prevent accidental breakage, the specified header was ignored.[Learn More] mozilla.7d17893b.svg
Public-Key-Pins: The certificate used by the site was not issued by a certificate in the default root certificate store. To prevent accidental breakage, the specified header was ignored.[Learn More] github-icon.ab0d1ba4.svg
Public-Key-Pins: The certificate used by the site was not issued by a certificate in the default root certificate store. To prevent accidental breakage, the specified header was ignored.[Learn More] twitter-icon.97af6058.svg
Public-Key-Pins: The certificate used by the site was not issued by a certificate in the default root certificate store. To prevent accidental breakage, the specified header was ignored.[Learn More] addon.xpi
1488400312520 addons.xpi WARN Download of https://testpilot.firefox.com/static/addon/addon.xpi failed: [Exception… “Certificate issuer is not built-in.” nsresult: “0x80004004 (NS_ERROR_ABORT)” location: “JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/CertUtils.jsm :: checkCert :: line 171” data: no] Stack trace: checkCert()@resource://gre/modules/CertUtils.jsm:171 < AddonInstall.prototype.onStopRequest()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:6148

Hi all,

Just a quick note, please try to paste the console output into a pastebin page, like pastebin.mozilla.org, and then paste the link into your reply. Try not to paste a huge dump of text into your reply :+1:

OK, so, @jeffreywmsmith, @Cleber, and @griley5000, based on your logs, it looks like your antivirus software is intercepting SSL/TLS traffic (“Certificate issuer is not built-in”). Please try disabling SSL filtering or try disabling your antivirus, then see if installation works.

Also, please disable all other addons if you’re having trouble installing Test Pilot or any Test Pilot experiments. If that fixes it, please let us know what addons you had that may have caused the problem.

Thanks!

Jared

Update: looks like there is a bug in the Test Pilot site that might be causing these issues.

I’ll continue to update this thread as we learn more (or when the bug is fixed).

Cheers,

Jared

Do you have testpilot installed and disabled by any chance?

I had the same issue but it was a total n00b thing. I had Test Pilot installed in the past but I disabled it. When I went to the web site it got stuck. It tried to install testpilot but it was already installed. It was probably trying to connect to it and failed since it was disabled.

Hey guys, I was finally able to install the test pilot add-on after upgrading to Firefox 52.02. Hope that works for you too!

Best regards
Chris

1 Like

Same issue here, I’m on Firefox 54.0.1, disabled all the extensions, the do not track, the security software, still can’t install test pilot.
I already installed it previously, then I had to reset Firefox and now I can’t install it anymore