Communities Logo Redesign - Call for Ideas

Create identity around a new image will be hard, I’m proposing after a year or more to release the dino head logo to Mozilla communities, each one can do their own modification like mozilla mexico did.

I know that mozilla don’t want the dino head because is scary for customers but I think is perfect for communities, the adoption is done !

In the other hand I really love the many voices one mozilla Logo, see the Nuke T-Shirt!!

2 Likes

@kinger Count me in for that! I will brainstorm once I got some stuff of my plate (and after the holidays of post Fx10 launch of course)

@kinger count me in… any timeframe / deadline for this ? Thanks Brian!

firstsubmission

13 Likes

Interested!! Count me in too. Is there any concept or draft work?

Examples:

Local Community

14 Likes

The logo redesign is insteresting and might think criteria like able to modify from template. BTW, design example from @vikingkarwur is pretty cool! (like MozSpace sticker design). :smiley:

1 Like

I have this proposal already - https://www.flickr.com/photos/89488075@N08/9704831846/https://www.flickr.com/photos/89488075@N08/9704761366/

Would need to be redone by a designer.

2 Likes

I think whatever concept we use we should use Viking’s idea of having an area to put the name of the community. Even if we don’t use his entire concept the banner could really be added to anything.

2 Likes

What connects the members of a community, it is the activities they live together, the projects they have for the future … but also the origin and history of these communities (that old Mozillians must forward to the new). I think a logo should reflect that.
And the dino represent this story, I think it must be present in the new logo. Only a silhouette, like the top of this page, is not scary

2 Likes

Nice work but it doesn’t fix in small or horizontal spaces, for example at the header in this platform (now using mozilla wordbrand and dinohead) will no looks so good in a small size.

1 Like

WoMoz doesnt use the whole logo for the favicon, we have part of the logo for when it needs to be small. I think Viking’s idea, or similar could use this. It could be a matter of just using the shield shape with the color stripes.

1 Like

I really should have added - it’s great that you’re thinking about this, because those things are very important when selecting a logo. It’s not uncommon to have different variations on the logo to fit in different spaces, so people submitting designs should keep that in mind, and maybe make suggestions for how their logo could be reduced or displayed differently to work in those situations.

What if I challenged the premise that an old logo needs a refresh? What about the existing logo no longer fits and is driving the change?

1 Like

I think the logo needs a refresh, now that there a efforts improving the mozilla brand and we had a few Firefox logo improvements since the Communities logo came out, personally it seems “old” for me.

The old logo was fine but it was never that great (no offense to those who designed/chose it), it’s not very compelling and it doesn’t really convey the idea of collaboration. Besides that, we don’t use the dino for outward facing engagement anymore so there’s one reason to change it. Also, Viking’s idea of a logo that can then be tweaked to be the base logo for different communities is great. It allows some continuity to show the sites are linked, but also allows for customization.

I was also going to make the point that it also better matches the current Mozilla branding, but then again are we not about to get new branding? So perhaps this should wait?

Personally I do like the old logo and but yeah its probably a bit outdated now. I definitely think that a new one should be customizable (the major weakness of the current logo in my opinion is that its not). Very much like @vikingkarwur proposal.

I really like @vikingkarwur 's designs as well, but would like to get some other designs before moving it to a decision.

I wish I could design, but I can have ideas!

I like Viking’s idea, but I’m feeling fatigue about the shield lately. I wonder if we can use the same concept, but with a shape that has more to do with communities, or cities or villages? I suppose the beauty of something like the shield is that it scales down to a favicon. If we use a more complex shape we’ll need to design a separate favicon/large logo/small logo.

You could also use Viking’s banner with community name over my m proposal.

This is great! Are we free to use it to create our local community logo? Any specific branding guideline to use this template?

Thanks