Communication Channels Survey

Hello fellow Reps,

We think that it is important to make sure
Reps know about the things happening in Participation and any decisions
the council makes. We want to use the right ways to communicate our
information.

Please complete this short survey to let us know
what is important to you and how you like us to communicate with you.
The survey should take less than 10 minutes to complete and any
information you provide will not be shared with anybody outside the
Council.

2 Likes

For the avoidance of doubt, and the fact that I am particularity dense today, this survey is for Reps only is it Alex?

Thanks for pointing this out Spike.
The survey is for Reps and that’s why I’ve put it under the Reps category here on Discourse.

Thank you Alex :grinning:

Here are some of the insights this survey gave us:

• Our instant read seems to be the reps-mailing list, with a close second being the Telegram group
  • Discourse is read mostly once a week
  • Facebook is our most ignored channel
  • Most people prefer to be engaged by the reps mailing list and Telegram
  • Almost half of the respondents would like a new channel: newsletter emailed once a week. Reasons:
  • One consolidated mail would be good
  • A once per week summary of what’s happening would be awesome!
  • Newsletter sonds [sic!] good!
  • I want to get updates in my inbox like services with their newsletter
  • Github issues are rarely read
  • There were a few complaints / suggestions for improvements:
  • Information overload
  • Slack channel
  • Multi-lingual comms
  • Distributed channels are a pain to follow responses
  • A list with all channels used

The council took a look at all these and has a set of next steps:

• List of all channels
  • Focus on Reps-general and Discourse moving forward
  • Pin all mail threads on Discourse when they happen
  • Create a newsletter - we can’t commit to weekly, but maybe every two weeks seems doable
3 Likes

Nice insights Alex. If Telegram came in a close second, what is the role of that moving forward? I don’t see it in next steps.

Sorry, my bad. I should stop doing these from airports. This part actually means: Post to reps-general, duplicate on Discourse and then Telegram pin the Discourse link on our channel. This way we get a lot of coverage without hitting absolutely every channel.

Hi everyone

I’ve started to document our channels and their purposes here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/ReMo/Communication

The open questions right now are:

• What are we going to do with the #remo IRC channels since that is pretty inactive. Can we kill it or do we need a bridge to Telegram?
  • Could the #remo-dev IRC Channel be incorporated into #participationsystems? Or should we leave it as-is since it’s not a duplicate? (@hmitsch any thoughts on this?)
  • Can we deprecate the reps-dev mailing list? That one seems inactive.

Thoughts very welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

In my opinion I think that the IRC channel can die I never used, the #remo-dev I think that can be helpful for development.
And for the mailing list I think that is time to migrate on discourse.

Yes, that’s the general plan. We are talking to the Participation Systems team to evaluate possible mechanisms for this. For the reps-dev list however we already have a category here, so I don’t think we need to migrate anything since the mailing list is unused.

I would ditch also the Reps-general mailing list, because I see it as a duplicate of Discourse (that I see as a more flexible option)

As of today’s Council meeting we’ve decided the following:

• reps-comms (old list) to be deprecated
  • reps-students (old list) to be deprecated
  • reps-council (alias is being used, if we need it, we will create a new category on Discourse)
  • reps-webdev mailing list (not been used for a long time, replaced by Discourse category)
  • #remo-dev IRC channel will be merged with #participationsystems

The goal is to have a solution in place where either the main channel is Discourse or both somehow synced. This is rather tricky and will take some time.

1 Like