Yammer and Discourse

Here’s a big question: what is the relationship between Discourse and Yammer? I assume we would be replacing Yammer, especially if we can start using Mozillians API to restrict access. If that is the case, or whatever the relationship would end up being, we should probably get in touch with relevant team members in charge of Yammer, and keep them updated as well as understand their goals and ideas.

2 Likes

I would love to move conversations from Yammer to Discourse, once we can restrict category access, there is no point to do it :smiley:

I see Yammer as more of a social space, and this more of a working space. However, Discourse has the advantage of being both with minimal effort. Yammer has the advantage of MoCo backing it (for the moment).

Intergrating the Mozilliands API is something I’d like to see too and will be writing a post in dev.planning to see if anyone wants to help out.

+1 to getting in touch with the yammer folks though whatever the case. Anybody know where we can start?

@yousef the line between work and social is blurred these days, specially when I can do a @mention here, paste a cat photo and check people profile timelines :wink:

Yeah, and it’s Discourse that makes it flexible. I don’t think it would be easy for someone to try and use Yammer as a mailing list though, which means this is a plus for Discourse.

I would like to re-bum this.

As a new Mozilla employee it’s really frustrating to see how the internal yammer is used every single day to post about public things that should go to other channels and how people keeps creating yammer groups to discuss public work.

We need to push and show people how bad this is for the project. Right now it’s not one, but two private Yammer instances (mozillians and staff) where the 90% of the messages are no-reason-to-be-private stuff.

I think right now that we have a general mozillians category here and reply by mail and notifications are working just like a mailing list, there are no excuses to keep using private and proprietary channels.

Any ideas about who should be the right person to help us mobilize this?

Pinging some people for their feeback: @gerv @dboswell @williamq @pierros @kinger @rosana @lshapiro

2 Likes

You should speak to Mardi or William r davidowboswell also

I will do so and will file a bug for this, too.

Didn’t realize this actually happened. I agree this is bad for the project as afaik the whole community doesn’t have a yammer account and may be missing out on discussions important to them.

And this is happening in both the employees only and the vouched mozillians one, which is kind of crazy.

Even if we don’t have a Mozillians API connection ready for discourse yet, we already have the possibility of creating private categories adding users manually, as I assume it was done for Mozillians Yammer instance.