Working Group: Community Leadership Track

#Leadership Track

Owner: @rara

##Problem statement
We haven’t been able to provide resources for Reps interested in the work in specific areas of Mozilla or interested in community building and organizing. Our mentorship structure is mainly built around bureaucratic tasks. While we have fantastic mentors doing a great job we’re also not supporting them actively.

##Goal
Create a specialization track for Community Leadership, for Reps interested in community building and organizing, who are interested in growing their leadership skills and who want more support for building and organizing Mozilla communities around the world.

Reps specialized in Leadership are Reps that want to focus on community building and mobilizing as their main area of contribution. They focus on building and supporting local communities, inspiring and recruiting new Mozillians and mentoring future Reps.

##How to get involved
If you are interested in helping in this group, please fill out the following doodle with next week dates for an initial meeting:

http://doodle.com/poll/4d65szd4iwn47had

======

Github issue:

4 Likes

So what time we are meeting and closing this poll.

1 Like

Thank you everyone!

Poll is closed, and I have picked the final option for the Doodle poll “Leadership Track Working Group.”

We are going to have our first call tomorrow Tuesday, February 16th, 2016 - 16:00 UTC, using the MozillaReps Vidyo Room.

I will post the agenda link soon :wink:

See ya!

1 Like

Meeting agenda : https://docs.google.com/document/d/15zArTb842Aev6bZ2DAWRvaiaaNTO6abYc0tuY9u5Qn4/edit

1 Like

Meeting Notes - Tuesday, February 16, 16:00 - 17:00 UTC

Attendees:

• Irayani Queencyputri (Rara)
  • Daniele Scasciafratte
  • Bob Reyes
  • Mahay Alam Khan (mak)
  • Amine Zaafouri

Agenda and Notes:

Introduction - why are you interested in this working group?

• For every Mozilla community, leadership is the main thing, no leadership will be no focus and direction in the community.

Have we missed any goals (other than described above)?

• Need to document the leadership from other communities, so that other can follow. (for example community guidelines, focusing to the leadership)
  • Every community leader need to meet with other leaders from other communities so that they can exchange experience and improve their management skills especially if they are working in similar projects ( Privacy events / FSA events … )
  • Leaders have to encourage contributors to take initiatives and lead in some projects ( localisation / Coding … )

Have we missed important questions?

• Define the bureaucratic tasks that can help the Reps to organize the event
  • Define the biggest communities that can help smaller communities (sort of bigger communities mentoring/shepherding smaller communities)
  • Ask communities to identify their needs and what specifics in leadership they need to draw out plans and set milestones for this working group.
  • How do different communities define “leadership” or the “leadership role”?

Let’s identify major milestones

• Ask communities to identify their needs and what specifics in leadership they need to draw out plans
  • Simplify the blocking tasks
  • Documenting the leadership from other communities (create a community leadership guidelines)
  • Finding the challenges of various communities by asking the community leaders to share the challenges they encounter, including onboarding and recruiting new Mozillians
  • Find types of recognition that applied in other communities
  • Sending a Community Leadership survey very soon because we have to ask to every community and analyse that data to improve the leadership in that community
  • Define “leadership” or the “leadership role” within different communities

Let’s define a timeline for the major milestones

• [until the end of next week] Sending a Community Leadership survey very soon because we have to ask to every community and analyse that data to improve the leadership in that community :
    • Ask communities to identify their needs and what specifics in leadership they need to draw out plans
    • Define “leadership” or the “leadership role” within different communities
    • Find types of recognition that applied in other communities
  • [until the end of next week] Finding the challenges of various communities by asking the community leaders to share the challenges they encounter, including onboarding and recruiting new Mozillians → open a Discourse topic
  • [blocked by the survey] Documenting the leadership from other communities (create a community leadership guidelines)
  • [until mid March] Define the bureaucratic/blocking tasks that can help the Reps to organize the event

Immediate next steps

• [until the end of this week - All] Prepare a survey with all the information because we have to ask to every community and analyse that data to improve the leadership in that community → Rara will open a document to gather all the possible questions
  • [until the end of next week - All] Finalize survey questions in the google form format and send it through all communication channels (mailing lists, Reps call, telegram groups, discourse topic, github, etc)
  • [until the end of next week - Rara] Finding the challenges of various communities by asking the community leaders to share the challenges they encounter, including onboarding and recruiting new Mozillians → open a Discourse topic
  • [until the end of the week - Rara] Organize a follow up call in the same time next week Tue Feb 23rd - 16:00 UTC
2 Likes

Hi,

Coming in late, but I would love to be a part of this. Please include me in meeting invites. Thanks!

Due to conflict schedules, I have to move the meeting one hour after the initial schedule. Apologize for the inconvenience :pray:

We are going to have meeting today Tue Feb 23rd - 17:00 UTC, using the MozillaReps Vidyo Room.

Meeting agenda : https://docs.google.com/document/d/15zArTb842Aev6bZ2DAWRvaiaaNTO6abYc0tuY9u5Qn4/edit?usp=sharing

See you! :wink:

Hi,

Can we have the github issue linked from the first message?

Thanks!

Hello :slight_smile:

We are going to have meeting again in one hour, Tue Mar 1st - 16:00 UTC (back to the origin schedule), using the MozillaReps Vidyo Room

Meeting agenda : https://docs.google.com/document/d/15zArTb842Aev6bZ2DAWRvaiaaNTO6abYc0tuY9u5Qn4/edit?usp=sharing

See you! :slightly_smiling:

Hello Reps,

we met today and had some great conversations about leadership. In a nutshell we decided that we want to both do a survey and facilitate a discourse discussions to understand better how Reps define leadership, what is needed in our communities and what skills do Reps need to help their communities.

We’ll aiming to have a draft of the survey and the discourse discussion for next week, we have owners for these tasks, but join us if you’re interested!

Here are the complete meeting notes and next steps.

If you want to get involved in either the survey or the discourse discussion ping us here :slightly_smiling:

Cheers!

• Rosana (on behalf of Rara)
1 Like

Rosana, can you fix the link?

Hey
@Swarnava please check the below link

I hope in @rosana link :// is missed

Fixed Rosana’s message since embedding gdocs is kind of broken here.

From the doc, the focus is currently “community building and organizing”.

That seems to be rather growth-focused?

I’d like to see more of mentorship and responsible decision-making.

OH GOD I JUST HATE DISCOURSE, AND I JUST ADD THIS TO GET AROUND IT. IGNORE THIS RANT

1 Like

I written a document to coordinate this WG with Meta WG.

Coordinating Meta and Leadership WGs

I hope that can be useful during the next meetings and to me for this roles as coordinator.

I forgotten the appointment of today :anguished:

Hello :slight_smile:

We are going to have meeting again on Tue Mar 15th - 16:00 UTC (in 20 minutes) using the MozillaReps Vidyo Room

http://arewemeetingyet.com/UTC/2016-03-01/16:00/w/Community%20Leadership%20Track%20Working%20Group

See you!

1 Like

Meeting Notes - Tuesday, March 15th, 16:00 - 17:00 UTC

Attendees:

• Irayani Queencyputri
  • Daniele Scasciafratte
  • Mijanur

Agenda + Notes:

Notes from conversation:

Next steps:

Community Leadership Survey is already out: http://bit.ly/1LV00Na

2 Likes