Why are most addons not available for the latest versions of Firefox?

Anytime I update firefox I have to wait for addons to be compatible, if they ever even become compatible. This does not sound logical. Why is Firefox’s framework set up where 70-80% of addons only work with specific versions of Firefox?

I could see maybe two or three, but this has been a nuisance for years and years for scores and scores of addons. I really believe that the entirety of the addon system is flawed because of this issue. Is the mozilla team doing anything about this?

AFA developers, there are some considerations.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2016/11/23/add-ons-in-2017/
AMO will stop accepting any new extensions for signing that are not WebExtensions in Firefox 53.

Firefox 53 is due 2017-04-18. WebExtension has a very limited access to inner APIs of the browser. It is mostly designed to work with web-pages i.e. change the way web pages work.

All addons that use inner APIs (e.g. all of the ones that change the way browser works) will stop working.

So now developers of many addons are left with a situation that their addons wont work with future Firefox and wonder if it is worth updating the addons.

2 Likes