Who will check my addon & where to upload it?

I need some-one to view my addon but it is not finished. It worked well until new update 48.0.1 when popups stopped working and none of my options pages will open. I try to debug it in Toolbox but it hangs and freezes on line:

browser.runtime.sendMessage

Here:

var url = chrome.extension.getURL(link);

chrome.tabs.query(
  { active: true,  currentWindow: true}, 
    function(tabs) {
      browser.runtime.sendMessage(
        { message:"open", 
          subject: "tab",
          module: id,
          access_name: id + "_opt",
          url: url, 
          sender:{id:tabs[0].id}  
        }
        )
    }
  );

I do not want to make the sources published and cannot pass it to AMO final version … but I just cannot debug it. It does not print any exception. Only Chrome can print error which is that browser is not defined in Chrome.

Is it possible to upload my addon as work in progress? Also developers asked me to show the addon (when I reported bug) but how can I show my work not finished and sources should stay protected.

Yes you can upload the addon to the beta channel. To get it onto the beta channel, in your package.json/manifest.json/install.rdf put a b at the end of your version. So <em:version>1.0</em:version> change it to <em:version>1.0b</em:version> then upload. It will go to your “beta” channel.

Here is some more info - https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Distribution#Beta_versions

If you don’t like that method, then you can change your id and upload it as a seperate “unlisted” addon. Information for that is also on the above link.

1 Like