Weekly Call 2016-02-25

When

• Thursday February 25th, 16:00 UTC

Agenda

• Check the agenda and please add your own topics as well if you have something to share with us.

AirMozilla video

Weekly call details:

Topics

1. Campaign Sara
  2. NDA new process - @lucyeoh
  3. FOSSASIA - @franc
  4. Community Dashboard - @couci
  5. Council’s updates
  6. Reps Call - @Ioana and @couci
  7. Womoz Campaign - @ioana

And your topic! - feel free to add it on etherpad

PS: As always we encourage you to add some shout outs! We have amazing reps doing amazing work! Let’s send them some #mozlove!

Raw notes here.

Attendees:

1. Hi, my name is Mijanur, and I am from Bangladesh. Today the temperature in my city is 70 °F | °C
  2. Hi my name is Daniele and i am from Italy. Today the temperature in my city is 11 c
  3. Hi my name is mahmood qudah and i am from jordan . today the temperature in my city is 21 c
  4. Hi my name is Sara and I’m in SF. It’s 14 C here.
  5. Hi my name is Christos from Greece and it’s 13 C here.
  6. Hola, I’m Rubén from Spain 8 C here.
  7. Hi, my name is Konstantina from Greece, 16 in Athens
  8. Hi viswaprasath, From Chennai (tamilnadu), India
  9. Hi my name is Radhakrishna , and I am from Hyderabad . Today the temperature in my city is 29 c.
  10. Hi, I am Ikram and I’m from Dhaka, Bangladesh and today’s temperature here is 75 F/ 24 C
  11. Hi, my name is Francisco, and I am from Madrid. Today the temperature in my city now is 13º C / 55º F
  12. Hi, my name is George, and I am from Berlin, Today the temperature is SNOW DAY SNOW DAY SNOW DAY!!! :slight_smile: YAAAAAA!!!
  13. Hi, my name is Guillermo, and I am from Buenos Aires. Today the temperature in my city is 32º C
  14. Hi, my name is Jobava and I am from Romania. Today the temperature in my city is 10ºC.
  15. Hi, I am Anis and I’m in Dhaka. It’s 24C here.
  16. Hi, I am Ashickur Rahman and I’m from Dhaka. Current weather is 24 C here.
  17. Ioana - Cluj Napoca Romania - Right now are 7ºC
  18. Hi my name is Lucy I am from Toronto and today the temperature in my city is 1ºC
  19. I’m Rosana, from bipolar Berlin, where there’s snow one minute and the next it’s gone
  20. Bolaram from Bangladesh
  21. Hi, I am Lavish from India

Shout outs!

• Everyone involved in RepsNext working groups, meeting and working hard on next steps to make the program even greater! Wohooo!
  • Mozilla India advocates who supported and were involved in the new rules there banning Software Patents
  • To the 41 … 41 …41 … 41!!! people who have GitHub issues for cool stuff they are holding themselves accountable for in the first half of this year: https://github.com/mozilla/participation-leaders-accountability/issues
  • Yofie who made the template for the campus campaign website in LESS THAN 24 HOURS! WOOOO!!! - https://github.com/mozilla/Community-Design/issues/35
  • Mozilla India for first grand workshop on IOT/connected +1 (Ram, Rahul & Dipesh - Awesome work) :slight_smile:
  • Shahid for doing an AMAZING job as the Reps Council Chair. Raising the bar really high

AGENDA
TOPIC 1 - Encryption Campaign - Sara

• we launched an encryption campaign - lots of press due to apple
  • Call for action - share the video
  • we will have teaching kits at the second half of your campaign
  • we are starting the videos on English and on the second half of the campaign
  • we will have localizing efforts
  • Encryption campaign, efforts from regulators and governments to weaken encryption.
  • We need a campaign to teach people about the value of encryption
  • Elevator pitches: 30 seconds, 1 minute, worth practicing

QUESTIONS:

• does the campaign needs designing efforts, cause we have a team
  • yes, please e-mail Sara so you can get the support you need
  • Reach out to l10n web group → https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n-web – will do.
  • When the second phase is happening?
  • we are realising the next 2 videos in the next 3 weeks.
  • Second phase is starting in 2 weeks by no
  • How can Mozillians explain that we are aligning with Apple and others right now when we are also their “competitors”?
  • This is a great question - will work with policy to get some talking points.
  • On this issue Mozilla and Apple (and Google?) are on the same side. There is a value on having trustworthy devices, backdoors make it possible for both hackers and foreign governments to get to the data.
  • It’s not just people’s phones, in this connected world, people’s devices represent their lives, their bank account etc.explaining what encryption is a starting point.
  • Sara will ask for FAQ for everyone to use
  • Is this an opportunity to make us more visible as an org who is ALWAYS fighting for this rights? :wink:
  • yes :slight_smile: and it’s way to let people what encryption is and a way to reach people that are outside the community
  • Thoughs/ideas by Jobava: Need to teach both about encryption but also the value of privacy. You can teach public key encryption using simple padlocks (everyone can lock, only the key unlocks) - can be workshop-worthy with actual padlock props and little boxes. Encryption has to be a hands-on experience, not just a faint assurance that their devices are somehow “secure”, without an idea what that might mean. Encryption has a really bad rendering in popular media (notably, CSI), even basic information may be worth spreading. Idea for a 60 second video debunking the CSI perception that encryption is something easy to break or trivial.
  • RELEVANT LINKS:
  • Check out the videos here ----> https://advocacy.mozilla.org/encrypt/2/
  • Feel free to get in touch: sara@mozillafoundation.org

TOPIC 2 - NDA process - Lucy

• New NDA process rolling out (fingers crossed) by March! - it’s a new system
  • Admin training - next week
  • Each group will roll out invitations in the coming weeks - for people that are not in the groups we need a staff to vouch for you in order to get an NDA
    https://wiki.mozilla.org/NDA
  • All Reps will get NDA
  • we wil have regular meetings
  • more to come next week

TOPIC 3 - Fossasia - Franc

• We decided to participate with devrel and sponsor about 4-5 people
  • It’s not only about giving a talk but you will have some commitments
  • A more detailed plan will come after the talks are being decided
  • We are planning for more technical talks but that doesn’t mean we will sponsor only them
  • Selected people will be announced in Monday
  • QUESTIONS:
  • If you have questions ask Franc
  • ACTIONS:
  • Check the Discourse topic. If you sent your proposal, register in this form: http://goo.gl/forms/BCIVNIGGw9

TOPIC 4 - Community Dashboards - Konstantina

• Communities will have the ability to get the data and populate their own dashboards
  • QUESTIONS: Any feedback: add comment on github

TOPIC 5 - What we are working on in the council

• Working groups (if you’re interested on working on a working group, go on discourse)
  • Reps Innovation fund (finalizing it’s form)
  • Faizal is going to be the next council chair
  • Questions? contact the council reps-council@mozilla.com

TOPIC 7 - Reps Call and Github (Ioana/Konstantina - read only due to time)

NON-VERBAL UPDATES