WebExtension: Using an SVG Icon

I have an addon for which I have previously used a collection of PNG icons. I am trying to replace the icons with a single SVG icon.

I have the following in my manifest.json file:

"browser_action": {
    "default_icon": "/content/images/icon.svg",
    …
},

as per https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/manifest.json/browser_action, but it doesn’t show up at all — just a space where the button should be.

What is the trick to getting an SVG icon working?

Thanks

2 Likes

Try placing it in the root directory with no path. Just a wild attempt. When working with webext’s i found some funky solutions.

Thanks. Tried & Failed.

I know the icon file is OK, because I can use it the addon icon:

"icons": {
    "48": "/content/images/icon.svg"
}, 

As you see, I had to include an arbitrary size to get it to work. It still doesn’t work for the addon button.

2 Likes

Ah very cool, thanks for sharing that solution!

In my experience, SVG icons sometimes work and not in other cases. First, you should experiment with Nightly. When it fails, you need to debug it using Browser Toolbox, Browser Content Toolbox, Add-on Debugger etc. Also, clean installation of the add-on might help. (And most users do ‘clean installation’)

I have found a workaround for what I think is a bug.

Although the documentation says you can supply a string instead of an object, it doesn’t appear to work. Instead, I fake it with the following code:

"default_icon": {
		"24": "/content/images/icon.svg",
		"48": "/content/images/icon.svg",
		"96": "/content/images/icon.svg"
	},
	…
},

Same SVG image, but pretend it’s one of a number of icons.

1 Like

I can’t reproduce this. Here’s a simple add-on that uses an SVG icon for the browser action: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qkuirqfb3b47nx8/browserAction-svg.zip?dl=0. It works fine for me (using “Load temporary add-on”) on Firefox 48, OS X. Does it not work for you?

1 Like

I tried this but it didn’t work. I created the svg with Inkscape, and tried the “Plain SVG” setting in the Save As dialog. Should I use a different one? It also has “Optimized SVG”, “Compressed SVG”, “Inkscape SVG”, etc.

What program did you use to make the svg?

You need to give your SVG a default width/height (within the .svg file) -

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1306030

I just went to the image properties and verified that a width and height were set, and it still doesn’t work. Here is the file:

Here is the manifest file:

{
"manifest_version": 2,
"name": "ssjs",
"version": "0.1",

"browser_style": true,
	"default_icon": 
	{
		"16": "icons/ssjs.svg",
		"24": "icons/ssjs.svg",
		"48": "icons/ssjs.svg",
		"96": "icons/ssjs.svg"
	},
	"default_title": "ssjs",
	"default_popup": "popup/ssjs_pop.html"
},

"description": "displays loaded CSS and JS files",

"icons": {
	"16": "icons/ssjs.svg",
	"24": "icons/ssjs.svg",
	"48": "icons/ssjs.svg",
	"96": "icons/ssjs.svg"
},

"content_scripts": [
  {
	"matches": ["*://*/"],
	"js": ["content_scripts/ssjs.js"]
  }
],

"applications": {
  "gecko": {
     "id": "ssjs@raphael.com"
  }

}
}

Do you see anything wrong?

After closing and restarting FF it started working. Possible caching issue?

Is this after restarting after adding width/height?

Restarting without width/height doesn’t work right?

Definitely a caching issue. I hit it a lot. Are you loading the addon via about:debugging? I do.

@noitidart, when I opened the svg in Notepad++, the width and height were already there, but at first they were in mm. I tried changing the units in Inkscape to pixels, and then reloaded in about:debugging, and it didn’t work. I then tried changing the dimensions and tried grouping the objects in a few different ways, and it didn’t work. When I came in the next day, I restarted FF and it started working, so I’m pretty sure it was caching.

When you clear the cache in the history, does that also clear the addon cache?

1 Like

@raphael75 I have encountered times when Firefox will only render some svgs if you include a viewBox definition:

<svg viewBox="0 0 48 48" width="48" height="48" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
</svg>
1 Like

@mottie, I just checked the svg, and Inkscape did add a viewbox definition.

It might. But I think this is a different kind of cache, restarting the browser is the only way.

1 Like