WebExtension Options for Firefox<48

Firefox 48 will implement the options_ui capability for addons. I know it’s just around the corner, but I would like my addon to cope with both older and newer versions (not too old, of course).

1. Will my options code cause problem with older versions of Firefox?
  2. Is it possible to hide part of the addon accordingly?

Thanks

AFAIK, it will be an error when there will be unsupported keyword in manifes.json so you won’t be able to run that webextension in the older versions of FIrefox. You need to define

“strict_min_version”: “48.0a1”

Which forces the use of the addon for versions greater or equal to FF 48. If you use e.g

"applications": {
  "gecko": {
    "id": "some-options@mozilla.org",
    "strict_min_version": "45.0a1"
    }
  },
"options_ui": {
  "page": "options.html",
  "open_in_tab": true
  },

then it will be error in manifest.json.

I think you have no choice. If you want to use webextension, then the user needs to install the newer version of Firefox. Is this a limitation?

Actually, I have found that manifest.json doesn’t seem to mind invalid keys. I take advantage of that when I crate a fake key to temporarily hold data from another real key — JSON doesn’t support comments, so fake keys can be used this way.

I have tested in Firefox 47, and I can get away with it, but of course, the settings don’t work.

Oh well, I’ll just have to mention it in my documentation.

Thanks

This may change in future versions. Why not tested in FF 48? You could download it.

Well I want to know can I launch my own extension for my website in firefox? Because recently I launched my new website http://www.celebkhabar.com Please suggest.