[Support] uBlock Origin

Hi there gorhill,

I have recently reported a failed ad blocking to “Adblock Plus” here…

https://reports.adblockplus.org/15a36440-6671-4f65-a661-b2171b4c1df1

Is it possible to make a similar report to “uBlock Origin Plus” and if yes, how?

coothead

I already posted a topic about an unblocked ad but it seems like i should have “replied” here to explain my own problem ?

Here is the topic : https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/unblocked-ad/10970

uBO is serverless – aside being a project on GitHub. I do not intend to ever create a server for it.

Try sitepoint.com##table.topic-list tr:not(.topic-list-item), report to EasyList maintainers if you want everybody to benefit this filter.

Report to EasyList France maintainers: https://forums.lanik.us/viewforum.php?f=91.

Hello there Raymond (@gorhill),

Thanks for creating uBlock Origin, I have using it on both Firefox and Chrome and I’m using it successfully on Firefox on Android (yes, I’ve tested it and now wondering if there is a companion userscript application :smile:).

I have some problems on them though: Firefox displays them as desktop webpage which means that the text is smaller. I also found them to be responsive, which is possible to make them full-fledged mobile pages. It simply misses <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0"> in all of the HTML files :confused:

If you somehow consider this (and advertise your extension as Mobile-friendly (at least on Firefox on Android), then this world will be a better place :wink:

Cheers,
Gacel

Hey there @gorhill ! It’s me ublock-user from Github. I have noticed uBlock on Chrome Web Store hasn’t got updated since version 1.9.4, even though version 1.9.6 was already released and now with 1.9.8 being pushed, is it stuck somewhere or have you decided not upload it right now ? I would like to know what is really going on.

Nevermind figured it out.

Congratulations @gorhill! uBO has 5 million users on Chrome Web Store! New milestone!

1 Like

Hi, thanks a lot for uBO! ABP really was too slow.

Starting a few days ago, I cannot make this site working without ads anymore: http://france.lachainemeteo.com/meteo-france/ville/previsions-meteo-evry-1746-0.php
What’s strange is other very similar pages work:
http://paris.lachainemeteo.com/meteo-france/ville/previsions-meteo-paris-3903-0.php
(the latter will show you what’s missing on the former)

If you carefully look at the former while it loads (if it doesn’t load too fast), you’ll notice the weather pictures do show up for a moment, then disappear; so I guess the site itself is “deleting” them to make the user believe the blocker is the culprit :frowning: I tried to fiddle with site-specific rules (I use expert mode), and to create static filters for scripts I saw in the event log, but to no avail. I also thought I’d first whitelist everything (green square on the “All” line and the “local” column) then blacklist sites one at a time, but even then the page doesn’t work! The only way for now is disabling uBO altogether on the page.

Can you help me on this tough problem?

Hello, sorry if this has been asked before.

Could it be possible to whitelist certain fonts, such as iconfonts?

For example, most CSS rules for Material Icons use “MaterialIcons”, “Material Icons”, “MaterialIcons-regular”, etc. in their @font-face declaration.

I know that there is also FontAwesome, and a few others.

There is no real reason to block icon fonts. If we could filter by these common names, it would mean that at the sacrifice of a few fonts being loaded, you won’t have to see this:

And icon fonts aren’t usually a major issue on load time. For example, the latest Material Icons font in WOFF2 format is 43.3KB.

Hi, I’m doing an assignment about uBlock Origin for a Software Engineering class and one of the topics is Software Development Processes. Can you briefly describe the development process used for uBlock Origin?

is this where I can post a question?
There is a site that won’t let me access a magnetic link unless I disable the ad blocker… I don’t want to have to whitelisted, or have to temporarily disable ublock in order to get the file… is there a way to bypass this restriction.
The site apparently detects I am running and ad blocker and prevents me from downloading…

Thanks!

I don’t know. The only way one can answer this is by looking at the specific issue itself – which is impossible here since you did not provide a URL.

The site is making difficult to block ads, they are served in a way that make them indistinguishable from other useful pictures requried by the site. They can’t be blocked using standard ABP-compatible filters. I added a uBO-specific filter, force an update of “uBlock filters”: click “purge cache” button aside it, then click “Update now”.

Thanks a lot Raymond! That site now works. But ads are still visible, is it normal? From your answer I thought they’d be blocked.

I could block the biggest ads on the right-hand side by filtering “###pave_haut”, but the smaller ads in the main column, between the two-week forecast and the single day forecast, still appear. If they cannot be blocked, nevermind.

Best is to open an issue at uAssets, and post screenshot of what you see on your side and what should be removed. It’s not clear on my side what are ads or not.

Hello,

I’ve been trying to figure something out for the past week or so, looking on the documentation/wiki (and not finding an answer) and posting on a couple of sites, and I found a link to this “support” area in the GitHub file, so I thought that I’d ask for help over here. Sorry if I’m doing something wrong!

So here is my problem: on some sites, I want to disable the general “feed” of the site, so that I don’t need to look at their suggested posts or videos or whatever. This works fine on some sites.

Take www.youtube.com for example. I don’t want to see their video suggestions ever, whether I’m logged in or not. I just want to use YouTube to watch videos that I want to watch, not carelessly browse around and waste time. That’s why I went on the site and used the element picker and found out that if you hide ###feed, it blocks the feed. It doesn’t interfere with other parts of the site, which is good.

However, it doesn’t work as well on other sites. Let’s look at two examples over here:

YouTube Gaminghttps://gaming.youtube.com

Now I want to block the feed similar to blocking the feed on www.youtube.com, but this has some adverse effects. What’s the problem? It essentially blocks content from other subdomains.

So I want to block that streaming video header at the top, as well as the trending videos and whatnot. Basically all the videos that appear on the homepage. And then I realize that I want to hide the tabs at the top as well, because I don’t need them, either. Using the element inspector I play around and realize that if I block ###contents, it blocks all of that crap. So I have a new rule:

gaming.youtube.com###contents

However, now, when I search for something, nothing shows up, because ###contents is being blocked on the subdomain, https://gaming.youtube.com/results?search_query=game, as well. Also, when I go to a user’s channel, it essentially hides everything except the header and picture of the user. I think it would be better to block ###contents only on the homepage, which is https://gaming.youtube.com, and nothing else. I haven’t found out how to do this, though.

I also tried individually blocking the streaming video header, trending videos, etc. instead of going all out with ###contents using the element picker, but this has one unfortunate consequence: when I go to a person’s channel, it doesn’t show me any videos there. So that’s why I’m looking for something to block just on the “domain” of https://gaming.youtube.com – as in only when that is showing in the URL bar. I hope that makes sense.

Reddithttps://www.reddit.com

Similar problem here, though slightly different. When I go to the site when I’m not logged in, it shows me the font page which I don’t want to see. When I am logged in, it shows me my front page which I am okay with seeing. So I tried blocking the font page when I’m not logged in, and I used this as a result:

www.reddit.com###siteTable

The problem this time? When I’m signed in, I can’t see my own personal front page. It’s blocked as well! This is a bit more complicated, because the URL stays https://www.reddit.com/ and doesn’t change. So I don’t know if uBlock can create a filter that will only work when I’m not logged in (I guess I might be out of luck for this particular case). In addition to hiding the front page completely, it also hides posts from other subreddits and the posts when you click on them (i.e. you can only see comments). So, in essence, it completely breaks the site. I don’t know if there is a good way to do this or whether I’ll just have to live with the fact that it is impossible to do so (which isn’t really that big or a problem, just more of an annoyance).

Thanks for reading this wall of text. Hopefully someone will know how to do something about this!

http://linkneverdie.com/All-Games/?page=1 UB not work, so sad

Use:

linkneverdie.com##script:inject(bab-defuser.js)

I will add it to uBlock filters.

I posted a comment here about six hours ago, but it got flagged as spam, probably because of all the links it contained. No one has reviewed it yet, so I’ll post it again, this time without the links. Thanks for bearing with me.

Hello,

I’ve been trying to figure something out for the past week or so, looking on the documentation/wiki and posting on a couple of sites (and not finding an answer). I found a link to this “support” area in the GitHub file, so I thought that I’d ask for help over here. Sorry if I’m doing something wrong!

So here is my problem: on some sites, I want to disable the general “feed” of the site, so that I don’t need to look at their suggested posts or videos or whatever. This works fine on some sites.

Take YouTube for example. I don’t want to see their video suggestions ever, whether I’m logged in or not. I just want to use YouTube to watch videos that I want to watch, not carelessly browse around and waste time. That’s why I went on the site and used the element picker and found out that if you hide ###feed, it blocks the feed. It doesn’t interfere with other parts of the site, which is good.

However, it doesn’t work as well on other sites. Let’s look at two examples over here:

YouTube Gaming – URL redacted, should be easy to find if you need to. Please assume YG is the site.

Now I want to block the feed similar to blocking the feed on YouTube, but this has some adverse effects. What’s the problem? It essentially blocks content from other subdomains.

So I want to block that streaming video header at the top, as well as the trending videos and whatnot. Basically all the videos that appear on the homepage. And then I realize that I want to hide the tabs at the top as well, because I don’t need them, either. Using the element inspector I play around and realize that if I block ###contents, it blocks all of that crap. So I have a new rule:

YG###contents

However, now, when I search for something, nothing shows up, because ###contents is being blocked on the subdomain, YG/results?search_query=game, as well. Also, when I go to a user’s channel, it essentially hides everything except the header and picture of the user, so I can’t see any of the user’s videos. I think it would be better to block ###contents only on the homepage, which is YG, and nothing else. I haven’t found out how to do this, though.

I also tried individually blocking the streaming video header, trending videos, etc. instead of going all out with ###contents using the element picker, but this has one unfortunate consequence: when I go to a person’s channel, it doesn’t show me any videos there. So that’s why I’m looking for something to block ###contents just on the “domain” of YG – as in only when that is showing in the URL bar. I hope that makes sense.

Reddit – Lets call the URL Reddit

Similar problem here, though slightly different. When I go to the site when I’m not logged in, it shows me the font page which I don’t want to see. When I am logged in, it shows me my front page which I am okay with seeing. So I tried blocking the font page when I’m not logged in, and I used this as a result:

Reddit###siteTable

The problem this time? When I’m signed in, I can’t see my own personal front page. It’s blocked as well! This is a bit more complicated, because the URL stays Reddit and doesn’t change. So I don’t know if uBlock can create a filter that will only work when I’m not logged in (I guess I might be out of luck for this particular case though). In addition to hiding the front page completely, it also hides posts from other subreddits and the text of posts when you click on them (i.e. you can only see comments). So, in essence, it completely breaks the site. I don’t know if there is a good way to do this or whether I’ll just have to live with the fact that it is impossible to do so (which isn’t really that big or a problem, just more of an annoyance).

Thanks for reading this wall of text. Hopefully someone will know how to do something about this!

Edit: It seems like the comment was approved after all. Should I delete that comment? I’m not too sure… I feel like I should keep this one as it’s the “latest” one. Do advise me on how I should go about doing this. Thank you!