[Support] uBlock Origin

Yes, thanks ) Mail.ru extension conflicted with ublock, I was deleted it )

I don’t see where I can start a new topic or ask questions…but how do I unblock rtlxl.nl? It does not play video anymore.

I read your GitHub contributing document and it lead me here. Please redirect me if this is the wrong place to ask. But I would like to discuss issue 2029 since it was closed on GitHub.

Instead of throwing, could you just return instead? Maybe even console.info('aborting content scripts') instead of throwing since this isn’t really an error.

Yahoo Mail users in the U.S. have to contend with a gigantic TurboTax banner ad that appears at the top of the page around this time every year. uBlock Origin blocks the ad just fine, but the blank space that’s supposed to be filled by the ad remains at the top of the page. Here are the two filters I’ve come up with to make that space go away:

mg.mail.yahoo.com##div#uhWrapper:style(margin-top: 0px !important)
mg.mail.yahoo.com##div#main:style(top: 94px !important)

There is some conflict between Ghostery and uBlock.

ID: cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm

Seems AMO hasn’t published version 1.11.0 after 6 days (would normally be up by now). Given that there’s a bunch of Firefox changes included, I’m starting to think that something has gone wrong somewhere.

Simpler explanation:

Next Listed Version: 1.11.0
Queue Position: 114 of 181

Reviewing extensions is hard and time consuming work, please be patient.

Hello!
I need to add Several Filters for the “My Filters” Tab . . . However, the ENDING of the URL they apply to changes frequently. Do I use some sort of WILDCARD to catch ALL those changes??
Here is an EXAMPLE::
Https://TopSecret_Lair.ca/CodeBngj8lQzYe5vT
AND
Https://TopSecret_Lair.ca/CodeCng4ql5Ye5xM

On Very Next USE, BECOME::
Https://TopSecret_Lair.ca/CodeVqUkCm6ZxFb
AND
Https://TopSecret_Lair.ca/CodeZVUkqCm6ZxFb

In Other Words, ONLY the Final 12 Characters always change,
so I guess I need my Filter to be something LIKE::
Https://TopSecret_Lair.ca/*

Can I just add that asterisk?
Thank You for your Help ! !
Chuck

I noticed uBlock breaks Angularjs applications because it blocks this
https://github.com/revolunet/angular-google-analytics module.
Since the dependency is blocked the whole application doesn’t work.

This is because of a filter in EasyPrivacy (you can see this with the logger). Report whatever specific false positive you experience to EasyPrivacy maintainers: https://forums.lanik.us/viewforum.php?f=64.

Try ||TopSecret_Lair.ca/Code*.

Thank You, Mr. Hill!
You are a Champ!
And uBlock Origin is surprisingly good. I had, for a long time, used Two other adblockers before discovering uBlock — and yours is easily superior. I truly believe that if people could somehow be persuaded to merely try uBlock, the competition would be toast; but people simply do not know about the difference!

Hey gorhill, many thanks for this wonderful addon. However, there are 2 sudden issues I am having and I noticed many threads of a similar nature on reddit and the like:

1. Unfortunately, in the past few months there has been a sudden spike in CPU usage, to the point that my fan is just screaming until I disable uBlock.

I know you get these a lot but please bear with me because it really is very confusing, at least right now.

There is no “specific” reproducible case because it happens all the time, regardless of which website I am on. This issue did not exist 3-4 months ago. I haven’t messed around either, besides using the addon as would be normally expected.

1. uBlock doesn’t seem to “work” properly anymore. Let’s say I am on a forum where people have attached pictures of their wallpapers or anything else using different imagehosts. What happens is that many imagehosts get filtered so I would enable them in the advanced menu. But now those don’t work properly; some images still get filtered out (is this because of specific “3rd party filter lists” instead?).

Once I got tired of it, I set “all” as green for the local section of the website. It was working fine, but then it suddenly stopped working. uBlock wouldn’t respect it anymore. So finally I tried to see what would happen if I disabled uBlock from within the addon (not disabled from Firefox). It would work and then even that has stopped being respected. It seems like a pattern where first everything works fine for a new site and then once I’ve visited enough times, it would stop respecting anything. What’s so weird is that the addon is disabled from within the addon and it would not matter; things would still get filtered.

The only solution was to completely disable the addon from about:addons. The unfortunate side effect is that all those insane pop ups and things come about that eat up nearly the same amount of processing power.

Hope to hear from you soon! Normally I tend to figure these things out on my own but this is quite baffling. Maybe it’s the newer Firefox versions that are causing this? Mine is 51.0.1. Also, I use Privacy Badger, but I haven’t noticed any conflicts with uBlock.

Kind regards.

Some web sites may behave erratically when some stuff is blocked – including CPU spikes. The only and only way to make the case that there is an issue with uBO, is to actually provide supporting evidences. There is no other way. No report of such issue exist – so it’s simply not true that I “get these a lot”.

I can’t help you: without specifics, it’s impossible to say anything of value. There are no reports of such weird behavior. I notice that you did not mention at all the logger, while this is the tool to use in case of filter/rule issues.

Here are two key points, without which nothing productive can be done:

• The logger, use it.
  • Specifics: provide all the steps for others to reproduce.

Without this, it’s impossible to claim that uBO is not working properly, in all likelihood this will be the wrong conclusion.

How to enable element picker on mouse right click menu ? When I first installed ublock origin I had the ability to right mouse click on the page and there was a menu item for the element picker.

It seems to be no longer available and I would like to re enable it, but I don’t know what I did to lose it.

I have checked the box for “Make use of context menu where appropriate”

Any instructions on how to get that feature back ?

Thanks for checking that. Seems like you just ran into a perfect storm of addons getting reviewed at the same time.

Hi gorhill, thanks for the reply. Apologies, by “get these a lot” I meant complaints that most likely would cause some kind of annoyance; it was more of a general assumption after I read a few forum threads on people’s uBO processor usage spike up.

Anyway, I have tried the logger a few times. Unfortunately, it didn’t help at all. I tried on several sites and the only thing that has some sort of a note/comment is “whitelisted” next to the website’s main link (e.g. <“time”> “whitelisted” <++> <“doc”> <“www.somesite.com”>).

In uBO’s wiki, the logger screenshot shows many other things such as links being filtered based on the rules. But for me, this is not happening. It appears as if the links that are being “blocked” are not being logged at all, as if uBO isn’t aware of them. Which makes me think - have I broken it somehow? I should’ve said earlier, but this is a copy profile for testing, which means I copied the extensions too from my original profile. But then again, the same processing power spike is present in the original profile as well and further still, I tried removing/reinstalling uBO, but it retained many of the rules. How shall I reset the whole thing, if that is the only way?

Edit: I should add, I’m a bit confused with the way the live filtering works. It’s supposed to be that local rules > global rules, right? That much is okay, except as mentioned before, that often I have to use both local and global “all” as green to stop the filtering of links. The other thing is, each website is listed in the live filter in bold with all the subdomains under it, correct? Let’s say I’ve set a forum to all-green locally. What happens is that this strange blocking still takes place until I make ALL of the subdomains to green, except for one case where even that didn’t work but I’m gonna ignore that for now. Truly weird stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

uBO will show everything it does in the logger. If nothing is shown as being blocked (because you whitelisted the site), then something else is blocking the network requests, you will have to find out what. For instance, often people will forget that Firefox’s Track Protection is enabled.

Again, I can’t help: you did not provide any specifics.

Also, I suggest you don’t use dynamic filtering until you have sorted out your filtering issues: using “green” (allow) rules should be used only in very exceptional cases, which suggest to me you did not grasp fully how dynamic filtering work. But then again, without specifics, I just can’t help.

Has anyone made any leeway, at all, at getting around Twitch’s SureStream ad system?

I’ve been using uBlock Origin, UBO Extra and Google Chrome for months and I’ve not got any. Until recently, because it seems as if my account has switched over to the new ad delivery system (I use the HTML5 player). Not only are these ads loud and annoying (like 5x the volume of what the stream is), but some of them freeze when they’re done and don’t give the stream back. So oftentimes if you reload, you will get ads again because you technically didn’t watch the other ones all the way though. This is unacceptable, and complained about many times by users but Twitch doesn’t seem to care. Their only “solution” is to buy Prime.

The only ways to get around it are to switch back to the Flash player or watch via something like Streamlink (you still get the old ad system that way, which is blocked by UBO or bypassed by Streamlink), but it’s only a matter of time before neither of those will work either. There will be just one video feed with embedded ads, which only Twitch Prime and (depending on the channel) subscribers will be able to get around. It’s something I’m really not looking forward to.

Hi gorhill. I’m trying to find examples that you can test out. I just realised that everywhere this happens is forums where I have accounts and you won’t be able to see anything in the posts if you’re not a member, so you’ll have to make several accounts to see etc. Better to find a more general example. I’ll get back to you.

In the meantime, I have explored the possibility it’s something else. I created a brand new, addon-free profile and even there the images won’t load. Yet, if I try in another browser, such as Opera or Chrome, the images load. Same posts, same images, but different browser. So it seems at least as far as images-not-loading is concerned, uBO doesn’t seem to be the issue (even though for a moment it seemed so but now it’s been proven otherwise).

So far I have searched but the solutions all date back to 2009 when the preferences of Firefox were different. I don’t know what else I can do beyond all the refreshes and new profiles I’ve created. I know it’s not your domain, but if something hopefully makes sense to you or you have a feeling of what’s going on, it would be great to hear. Thanks!

Edit: Having said all that, I still don’t understand one thing. On a forum post say there are images attached via depic.me, imagevenue etc. I have set the LOCAL rule for the whole website as green (the top-right bar, the local version of “all”). It still filters some images and I have to specifically allow several of the image hosts to local green in order to let them load (and they usually do after this). But why? Is that supposed to be? Shouldn’t they all be set to green since I set the top-most local bar to green (uBO even highlights everything in the local column to a mild green) or have I misunderstood and mild green is another thing (I only found green, grey and red in the wiki).