[Support] Refresh Blocker

I understand. I never added Android to its install.rdf.
I just checked and its compatibility is set to Firefox (only).
I don’t know why it allowed installation for Android. It could be a bug with the AMO.

Hello, @erosman. Thanks for this great add-on!

Have you considered adding an “Allow” button to the block notification? The browser’s reload button is OK for a simple refresh, but I don’t see a way to allow a redirect to a different page to proceed (unless the page includes a link to click on).

(The Firefox option “Warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page” on the Advanced/General tab (accessibility.blockautorefresh) provides an “Allow” button but doesn’t show the redirect URL or allow sites to be whitelisted.)

Some redirects are done by meta-refresh.
They can be controlled with Refresh Blocker.

At the moment, selecting Smart Block will allow meta-refresh redirects that dont have a time-out ie they redirect immediately (in 0 seconds).

Other meta-refresh redirects require allowing via the Whitelist.

I will look into an allow button for temporary allow (but that would be subject to notification being allowed since it can be disabled)

Hi erosman, you firefox addon is becoming more and more useful. Thank you for your work.
I want to report this site http://www.repubblica.it/index.html?refresh_ce because your addon seems to understand the page is being refreshed but it cannot stop it. I’m with windows 10 and firefox 47 at the moment. Hope this will be useful.
Regards,

Thank you for your kind comment.

[quote=“nameless1, post:24, topic:8755”]
I want to report this site http://www.repubblica.it/index.html?refresh_ce because your addon seems to understand the page is being refreshed but it cannot stop it.[/quote]

I tested the page (http://www.repubblica.it/index.html) with JavaScript disabled and the page did not refresh.

Sites commonly use 2 methods to refresh the page:

1. Meta Refresh
  2. JavaScript Refresh

Refresh Blocker can detect Meta Refresh eg:
<meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="350; URL=index.html?refresh_ce" />

I haven’t found a practical way to block JavaScript refresh as they vary from site to site and couldn’t isolate the function so that it wouldn’t interfere with other functions on the page. :frowning:

Hi,

For me not being able to go to the blocked URL is a deal breaker.

I thought my usage of RefreshBlocker was the most common one, I simply block every refresh and just click on the link when I want, but your addon just doesn’t allow that (or I’ve missed something). A button to simply go to the blocked URL in the notification bar (without changing anything to the settings) would do the job.

Adding to the whitelist each time I want to go to the blocker URL is not a solution at all.

Thank you. I will look into it for the next update.

Please note that there are pages that refresh elements of the page e.g. iframes. I know one such page that has 3 such refresher. Having a button to bypass the block is meaningless.

The main purpose of the addon was to prevent self-refresh (refreshing the same page and or elements of the page) and for that, having a bypass button is again meaningless since it will refresh the same page.

The ONLY time a bypass button is useful is when a page is forwarding to a different page. Any forwarder that is forwarding immediately (without delay) can be allowed by enabling the Smart Block.

Forwarders that force you to view the page before forwarding to a different page (ad-servers) should be avoided anyway IMHO. :wink:

Some forums set a delay before forwarding and if the forum is used regularly, they can be added to he whitelist. Most such forum provide their own click-able forward link anyway.

I use the addon myself and rarely I have come across a situation that required a bypass button. I have only 2 (TWO) entries in my own whitelist.

If you have come across other situations, let me know and I will update the addon accordingly.

Less than one hour after having installed the addon, an URL I wanted to go on has been blocked without any way to go on it (and smart block was enabled) => unbearable, addon disabled

It’s not because forwarders may be avoided or some situations may never happen that it’s up to you or your addon to decide what we have to do. Even if I don’t like those forwarders, they are everywhere. Even for forums it can be a problem, I often go on unknown or rarely visited forums and I don’t want to have to be annoyed by an addon.

That’s why RefreshBlocker was so good, simply putting an HTML link on top of the frame containing the meta refresh, always works, always clear.

The problem with iframes would not be a big issue. Most of the time, we want either to block them or to open them in the full window (external link encapsulated in an iframe of the referer).
RefreshBlocker was also helping in that case, by allowing me to simply use a middle click to open directly the URL in a new tab insteat of remaining stuck in the iframe.

It would probably be not to complicated to detect in which iframe the meta is (if you detect the meta in the iframe, you know the iframe) and to load the URL in that iframe when pressing the “Go” button. But even if you can’t do that (or need time to do it later), it’s really not a big issue, and certainly not a reason to not implement a feature which may not work perfectly 1% of the time, 99% is better than 0%. And if you do it, it would be appreciated (but again, it’s not so important) to have 2 “Go” buttons in that case, with one opening the URL in the whole window instead of the iframe.

OK… I will look into it for the next update :slight_smile:

@pinkimo I have added an “Allow” button to the notification and I am testing it now.
I will upload a new version soon.

Thanks for this addon. I’m finding though, that it’s blocking too many things. I do have “smart block” selected. I only want to stop pages from constantly refreshing themselves, but not block normal redirects. For example, in forums like phpBB, after you post something and should go back to the topic - I use a lot of forums and don’t want to have to whitelist every one. I guess it’s blocked because it’s not immediate?

Also when trying to download something with the common “your download will start in a few seconds” kind of message, with a redirect to a cdn like cloudfront or aws. For example, this page: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions - I don’t know if that’s because it’s not immediate, or because it’s not in the same domain?

I’ve uninstalled Refresh Blocker, and I’m now using a GreaseMonkey script called “Unintrusive Meta Refresh Blocker”: http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/44534 - it allows all meta refreshes with a time of less than 10 seconds. But I’d prefer to use your addon - maybe you could add some option like that? Like maybe the “smart block” could have options for the allowable delay time, and to allow redirects outside of the domain or not?

[quote=“elhem.enohpi, post:32, topic:8755”]
Like maybe the “smart block” could have options for the allowable delay time,[/quote]

That is possible. Let me look into it. :slight_smile:

AFA allowing redirect outside of the domain, iframe ads are like that. They are outside of the page domain and allowing them will allow all iframe refresh. (I know a site that has 3 of them on each page)

Thanks for looking into it.

I’m not sure what you mean about the iframes. I was talking about where it says:

Refresh Blocker will attempt to allow some commonly acceptable immediate (zero delay) Meta Refresh redirects.

• Redirection within the same host e.g. page/forum login/post/edit
  • Redirection Services e.g. sites set up solely for redirection e.g. Short-URL sites

Doesn’t that mean that even if a redirect has zero delay, it will still be blocked if it redirects outside of the same host? Because I still want those. I don’t want to block anything that’s actually a redirect. The only thing I don’t want is a page that sits there and refreshes itself over and over forever.

I guess there might be an ad in an iframe, that redirects to another ad, and so on, in a never-ending chain of redirects. Is that what you mean? I’m not so worried about that, because I use an ad-blocker. But even so, probably allowing anything with a refresh time of less than a few seconds would work for that case, unless the ads are refreshing so fast you can’t even read them…

That means if Smart Block is enabled, any redirection which is immediate with 0 delay will be allowed.

Does not work on foxnews.com. Don’t know what else to say.

As mentioned on addon’s description:
N.B. As mentioned above, Refresh Blocker controls the meta-refresh. Addon does not control JavaScript reload and/or HTTP redirects.

foxnews.com uses JavaScript to refresh the page.

Hi.

Would it please be possible to make the add-on compatible with multiprocess?

Thanks.

Maybe… however, addon uses an API which is not available in WebExtension. Therefore, I have no idea what will happen in future.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2016/11/23/add-ons-in-2017/
AMO will stop accepting any new extensions for signing that are not WebExtensions in Firefox 53.

Firefox 53 is due 2017-04-18. WebExtension has a very limited access to inner APIs of the browser. It is mostly designed to work with web-pages i.e. change the way web pages work.

All addons that use inner APIs (e.g. all of the ones that change the way browser works) will stop working.

Do you mean that the add-on will stop working when Fx 53 is released?

No, it will work but there cant be any update to it in its current form.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2016/11/23/add-ons-in-2017/
By the end of 2017, and with the release of Firefox 57, we’ll move to WebExtensions exclusively, and will stop loading any other extension types on desktop.

As of Firefox 57, all non-WebExtension addons will be prevented from loading by AMO. :frowning: