[Support] Flash Control

Hi, It seems that something strange is happening with Firefox 41. On youtube html5 videos don’t play (forever loading) if flash control is DISABLED or set to UNblocked. But works if flash control is on and set to block html5 (click with start the video) Seems acting opposite to what one expects. Only happens since yesterday with FF upgrade. OS is Ubuntu 15.04. Thanks

It’s working on my end.

Have you tried with a new profile? Are you using it with other addons?

It’s implemented now, v2.0.3. Currently still in the queue awaiting full review. I can finally rest my mind.

hello,

since 26/09/2015, i cant use this site http://live.mycanal.fr/tv/ because of flash control.

whitelisting it doesn’t work.
temporary disabling flash control doesn’t work
only work around is going to add-on tab in firefox and here disabling flashcontrol for it to work.

before that, it worked perfectly with flash control, now it doesn’t

If it’s v2.0.3, there’s a bug in it, that version is already removed. The latest version right now is 2.0.4.

yep tried to install it again yesterday and now it works perfectly.

unfortunatly i’m able to say if my previous version was 2.0.3 or not

Firefox 41 and 42beta, xpsp3, Flash Control 2.0.4

I find that on some sites that even though I press the Flash Control buttons to allow the media, nirthing happens. I must still select “allow example.com”, clear my cache and cookies and reload the page, sometimes more than once, to get the media to operate.

What can I do to make things easier?

I also have experienced times when the Flash Control buttons dont appear. I dont have examples at the moment but i will post back when I do.

I hope I am posting this subject in the right place. I tried to use the forum categories and selected addon support, but I found things there very confusing. When i tried to create a new conversation, there was no “reply”/“submit” button. The large yellow “Need help with Firefox? Click here to visit our support site” message blocked half of the upper portion of the page. I didnt see any evidence that I was logged in.

Sorry to bother you will all this, but it was very frustrating and I couldn’t find a way to covey my problem to a moderator.

I pondered for a while how I should reply you. Should I treat this as a bug report (in which case, the information you provided is inadequate), or should I treat this as a casual conversation, talk the way you did (and probably confuse everyone, and defeat the purpose of this forum)?

You have to be specific and be clear of what you want to ask. For unrelated topics, you should start different threads. Remember, a developer is just a person, just like you… it just so happen that he writes software…

I understand, and as I said my first inclination was to create a new thread…I spent about 20 minutes trying to do so,but my attempt was unsuccessful, as I explained. I search everywhere on this site for assistance on the subject, but couldn’t find anything or a way to contact someone.

I did not particularly consider this a bug report, but a call for help. I realize that an example of what I have experienced is somewhat essential, but I think I supplied enough specifics at this time to receive a general response which

1. Would confirm a similar experience from other users with Flash Control
  2. Advise me of methods to make the use of Flash Control for me simpler and more efficient.

v2.0.4
Please fix incorrect variable name in fc_pagemod.js file on line 852:

if (dynNodes[i].isEqualNode(paudio[j]))

should be:

if (dynNodes[i].isEqualNode(paudios[j]))

Ok, got it. Thank you! I’ll push it out tomorrow.

– edit –

It’s in the queue now…

Your add-on is the best in blocking Flash and HTML5 elements. But only two things I’m missing so very much:

1. This pesky A sign that stands for HTML5 audio embeddings cannot be deactivated. I understand the function of this and it is great that the addon is supporting this. But why is
    there no possibility to disable it similar to the Adobe Flash and HTML5 Video block option? And/or why is this A sign isn’t placed to a constant position where it isn’t in the way like now?

2. I haven’t tested it until right now: Does your plugin syncs the whitelist settings via Firefox Sync with other computers? That would be smashing! :slight_smile:

Please tell me: Is it possible to add the two features? The first one is the most important because it would be logically and similar to the existing options. I’m so looking forward to it!

Ans to 1: Yes, it is possible.
Ans to 2: You tell me.

I get this error

On YouTube, TMZ, etc.

The audio plays, but no video.

I believe it is a result of a conflict with Element Hider Helper

If I disable Element Hider Helper or set Flash Control to “allow” and clear cache, the video plays normally.

Firefox 42 rc2

While your report is good and descriptive, I don’t see anything wrong with what you were reporting.

Let me give you an analogy… Let’s say you took your baby brother’s toy car away from him, right in front of him. Instead of asking you for the toy car, your baby brother went to his sister to ask for the toy car. While his action might seemed logical to some, it doesn’t seem logical to me.

In our case, if you want to let Element Hider Helper manage and elements, simply go inside Flash Control configuration panel (accessible via the sidebar) and uncheck “Block Adobe Flash” (for embed elements), and/or “Block HTML5 Video” (for video, audio elements) I will be adding in yet another checkbox for “Block HTML5 Audio” in the future, but that’s another story.

Alternatively, you could just set Element Hider Helper to “not hide” embed, video, and audio elements, if that is available.

Something’s got to give, right?

Absolutely great news! :relaxed: I hope this is coming soon! :wink:

Flash Control doesn’t block sites from using Flash to find out my real IP address?

Tested on http://whoer.net/extended and real IP is revealed via Flash even with proxy.

I must admit, I don’t understand the analogy. I thought you’d simply be interested to know that for whatever reason, these 2 popular addons don’t behave well together at this time, and since this is the official Flash Control support page, I assumed this was the appropriate place to report it.

This was not an issue up until the last 3-4 weeks fro me.

I appreciate and employ Flash Control for it’s unique and specific features. As far as I am aware, in that regard, Element hider helper has nothing in common with Flash Control…it has no influence whatsoever on video or audio related elements, and there are no settings to that effect.

According to the product description at [Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus 1.3.4][1],
[1]: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/elemhidehelper/

“Fight the text ads! Element Hiding Helper is a companion extension for Adblock Plus meant to make creating element hiding rules easier”.

You did say “Something’s got to give, right?” I hope it doesn’t mean having to choosing between the two.

Short answer is: No, it doesn’t stop Flash from finding out your real IP address.

Longer answer is: Sites usually employ easily techniques to find your IP address, doesn’t have to rely on flash.

[BUG] Override Ajax Anchor setting causing Comments display problem.
I am new to this discourse.mozilla website so i appologize if I am posting in the wrong section.
If Override Ajax Anchor is checked, then clicking on “View All Replies” in the comments section causes the page to scroll back to top. To reproduce this bug, check Override Ajax Anchor, then go to the youtube comments section of any video and click on the “view all replies button” under a popular comment with many replies. It might say “view all 5 replies” or view all “72 replies” depending on the number of replies to the comment. Upon clicking, the page will scroll to the top and more replies would have loaded in the background.

Also can there be an option to keep Ajax Anchor Disabled even if Youtube is white-listed. Disabling Ajax Anchor is handy as it allows a few other addons work as well.

Quick edit: Another bug (or feature) is that blocked html5 videos only stop “auto play” but they continue to buffer and use up bandwidth in the background.

Do the following and test on whoer and you should see N/A.

Step 1. Find the location of the file mms.cfg on your system.
The mms.cfg may be located here:

Windows:
On 64-bit: C:\WINDOWS\sysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\mms.cfg
On 32-bit: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\mms.cfg
Please note that you need
administrative permission to open the files with Windows. Open the
mms.cfg file using Notepad or Wordpad (or any text editor) in
administrator mode.
(To set the text editor as admin mode simply right-click on the icon and select “Run/Open as administrator”.)
Mac OS:
/Library/Application Support/Macromedia/mms.cfg

Step 2. Add the following line to mms.cfg:
DisableSockets=1

Step 3. Test it on http://whoer.net/extended. If the result for “Flash” is “N/A” your Flash Player cannot leak your IP anymore.