[Support] Brief

а в чём проблема с ui? Строка где будет отображаться текущая парка и кнопка рядом, которая будет вызывать браузер по папкам закладок. У firefox такое есть, если при подписке выбрать “Подписаться на ленту новостей используя “закладки на ленты новостей””, а не “brief”. Или нет желания это программировать? Это, конечно, понятно, но по хорошему так быть не должно, сейчас, например, восстановление закладок делает brief неработоспособным, пришлось восстанавливать профиль firefox из бекапа.

я конкретно не смотрел, но при каждом восстановлении это была другая папка, плюс, попытки подписаться на rss ни к чему не приводили, т.е. оно там rss не видело. Да и странное это решение - очищать эту рандомную папку из своих закладок и перемещать туда ленты.

Hi Denis,

Having a blast spreading the love for Brief throughout IBM but a specific user is running into a nasty problem I can’t solve. It seems like every “.xml” feed link (Such as this one : http://www.lapresse.ca/rss/225.xml) is working but others are not. Examples include :

https://w3-connections.ibm.com/common/opensocial/basic/rest/activitystreams/urn:lsid:lconn.ibm.com:communities.community:62f624c0-3a6c-4ed4-be97-7dc3f340c466/@all/@all?rollup=true&shortStrings=true&format=atom
https://w3-connections.ibm.com/forums/atom/entries?forumUuid=edca5d5c-19cf-40f2-8eca-8f07e9637f96

As you can see, most of them are supplied by IBM Connections. I know this could be hard for you to debug since the links are accessible through our Intranet only but maybe seeing the format is enough for you to give us a hint? The same links are working for 95% of the users so it can’t be a syntax error. Brief is also installed correctly since it is able to display other feeds (Ending with .xml).

Hi,

Thank you for sharing this problem! Unfortunately, I cannot determine the cause on my own. Well, these feeds are probably Atom instead of RSS, but Brief does work with Atom feeds. Maybe these are malformed in some nontrivial way or hit a corner case in the Firefox feed parser.
Could you please try to open the Browser Console (Ctrl+Shift+J), try updating the feed in question and check whether any errors are reported there?

I could but here’s something interesting : I can’t even add these feeds to Brief! When I hit “Subscribe Now”, I don’t see the usual pop-up in the lower right corner telling me a feed has been added and nothing shows up in Brief at all. I tried exporting a feed from a computer where it’s working correctly (95% of them) and when I import it, the feed has the red triangle besides it permanently. Would it still help to have a look at the console even if Brief is normally not able to add the feed to begin with?

So these feeds do not work for a single user while they work correctly for others, right?

When I hit “Subscribe Now”[…] nothing shows up in Brief at all.

Please check in the Firefox preferences that Multi-process is disabled. If it’s enabled, subscribing with Brief may not work (bug #185), but you can try subscribing with Live Bookmarks (choose the Brief’s folder in the pop-up).

Would it still help to have a look at the console even if Brief is normally not able to add the feed to begin with?

Yes, certainly. Furthermore, you can try checking the console for errors while failing to add the feed as this may be a separate bug that also needs fixing.

By the way, pressing the Clear button on the console before performing the failing action will help you find the new errors.

Good morning,

I wanted to ask politely if you can add nell’addon “Brief” a chance to see pop-up inside with the news that open automatically every time you update an RSS feed. As in this example https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/news-factory/djaoeafihpfaakkpdobmhedohgnmhpbp?hl=it

thank you.
Antonio

I don’t see the multi-process box, I understand it might be there only in developer versions of Firefox? I did manage to get a screen shot of the console however :

Does it help?

Hello,

Could you please explain your idea a bit more? Brief already has an option to show a notification when new entries are found in feeds. What’s the difference between you suggestion and the notification?

It seems that the FeedProcessor component has trouble parsing the feed. Unfortunately, I have no idea of anything causing this to happen on a single computer and nowhere else.

Is it possible to find a feed that contains no confidential information, open and save it (by going to the feed’s URL and using Save Page) on (a) the PC that fails to read it and (b) any other that handles it correctly and send these two files to dennis.lissov@gmail.com?

Hi,
I have installed Brief 2.0.1 a while ago. I subscribed to several news feeds, and now Brief has read 28956 feeds. Now I want to export them into a file, but the Brief’s “Export Feeds” option only exports the titles of the news feeds that I have subscribed to. How can I export the actual feeds? Where are they stored on the disk?
Thank you.

Would it be possible to add an option that hides entries that have no fresh articles left?

Hello, and thanks for the great feed reader.

I’ve got my own blog going which I’ve hand coded, and which I’ve hand coded an RSS feed for. It works great with Brief, except that I can’t get the favicon to show up, no matter what tags I use. This is the long list I’ve included, but none of them seem to do anything. Any suggestion of a tag I could use that would work with Brief? Thanks!

<link rel="icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/images/favicons/favicon.ico">
<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/images/favicons/favicon.ico">
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="57x57" href="/images/favicons/apple-touch-icon-57x57.png">
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="60x60" href="/images/favicons/apple-touch-icon-60x60.png">
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="72x72" href="/images/favicons/apple-touch-icon-72x72.png">
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="76x76" href="/images/favicons/apple-touch-icon-76x76.png">
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="114x114" href="/images/favicons/apple-touch-icon-114x114.png">
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="120x120" href="/images/favicons/apple-touch-icon-120x120.png">
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="144x144" href="/images/favicons/apple-touch-icon-144x144.png">
<link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="152x152" href="/images/favicons/apple-touch-icon-152x152.png">
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="180x180" href="/images/favicons/apple-icon-180x180.png">
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" sizes="16x16" href="/images/favicons/favicon-16x16.png">
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" sizes="32x32" href="/images/favicons/favicon-32x32.png">
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" sizes="96x96" href="/images/favicons/favicon-96x96.png">
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" sizes="128x128" href="/images/favicons/favicon-128.png">
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" sizes="196x196" href="/images/favicons/favicon-196x196.png">
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" sizes="192x192"  href="/images/favicons/android-icon-192x192.png">
<meta name="msapplication-TileColor" content="#000000">
<meta name="msapplication-TileImage" content="/images/favicons/mstile-144x144.png">
<meta name="msapplication-square70x70logo" content="/images/favicons/mstile-70x70.png">
<meta name="msapplication-square150x150logo" content="/images/favicons/mstile-150x150.png">
<meta name="msapplication-wide310x150logo" content="/images/favicons/mstile-310x150.png">
<meta name="msapplication-square310x310logo" content="/images/favicons/mstile-310x310.png">
<meta name="theme-color" content="#000000">

Hello Denis,
I wanted to express my gratitude for this beautiful reader! It helps a lot to follow my favorite news sites.
I have two questions:
is it possible to export the text somwhere, or e.g. print it to a PDF file? If I try to print, I get only one page from the feed printed.
How can I clean up brief.sqlite file? The size does not decrease when I empty feeds or empty the trash folder. If I delete the file, will it preserve the subscriptions list?
Thanks in advance!

Hello,

There’s no special data export or print support for now.

The brief.sqlite vacuuming support is broken in current Brief versions, but should be fixed in 2.3 which will be released in about a week. In a few days after upgrade, the file should shrink down.

1 Like

Hello,

Sorry for not replying earlier.
Brief does not support favicons linked from a feed for now; it just fetches /favicon.ico from the website specified in the feed.

Ahhh… place the favicon in the root folder! Although that doesn’t seem to
have fixed my issue with Brief, it has fixed the problem with my favicon
not appearing in Blogger blog rolls. Even better, thanks!

Денис, пользуясь случаем, пока вы выпускаете новую версию Brief, хотелось бы вам напомнить про одно из предложений о функции, которой мне как раз в последнее время как-то особенно часто не хватает, а именно

6)Кликабельное название ленты, открывающее ленту. Раньше оно таковым было, в 2.0 убрали зачем-то

это вроде не особо трудозатратно, не могли бы вы это добавить в 2.3.0?

Нет, в 2.3.0 уже не могу (она уже в очереди на review).

ну что за правила они сделали, даже “OK”, написать нельзя, минимум 20 символов.

Many podcasts are using rss media enclosures to embed links to their podcasts in their rss feeds, and because they are not in the “content” area of the newfeed, the links are not shown in brief, but are shown when the rss feed is directly viewed in firefox. A example is for soundcloud rss feeds and others.

Things like <enclosure url="http://www.blah.com/blah.mp3" length="1234" type="audio/mp3" />

I am just wondering if they are going to be supported in brief (or if they already are)? Because the links are currently never shown in brief.

Thanks in advance. :wink: