MozillaCH Meetup April

Hi everyone

@betatim suggested to have a talk in April about https://mozillascience.github.io/WOW-2017/ as well as Open Science in general. I think this is a great opportunity to show other parts of Mozilla.

Tim, would you be available on either one of those dates? Unfortunately the event space we normally use seems very busy in April. That would happen in Zurich, though you already know that :slight_smile:

• Thursday, 6th of April, 19:00
  • Monday, 17th of April, 19:00

Cheers,
Michael

Can only do 6 April unfortunately.

What would people like to hear/learn about? Some topics that I can think of off the top of my head:

• what is WoW and the OLTS?
  • I want to learn more about doing open science, where do I start?
  • creating a roadmap for your project
  • what to do to make it easier for others to contribute to your project
  • does having a code of conduct matter?

That sounds great!

However, it seems that now the space is not available anymore on the 6th. I’ll write a mail to the space organizer to ask about alternative dates (or more like, if the space is really reserved for the other dates).

Liip is doing some construction work, therefore April won’t be possible at the usual event space. However this allows us to be more flexible with dates.

Tim, could you suggest a few other dates? Also, would you have a good idea for an alternative location? What do you think would fit best for the audience? Maybe a University would be good for such a topic?

ETH would probably be good, we have hosted some PyData meetups there.

How about 20 April?

(need to work out how to get notifications by email for just this thread)

Sounds good, do you have a contact there? (I don’t, but I could check)

Sure!

At the button of the topic (below the “Bookmark”, “Share”, “Flag”, etc buttons) there should be the option to set the topic to “watching”. This should give you an email for new answers. I’m also tagging you here, maybe that helps :slight_smile: @betatim

And because I just moved some of my open leadership mentorship calls … does 27 April also work?

I will email you an introduction to the guy at ETH that I know.

Let’s see if I get a notification without a mention :wink:

I would say so. I’ve contacted the contact at ETH to see if we can get a room on this date (you’re CC’ed).

In the mean time, could you provide an abstract i could use as a description for the meetup.com announcement? Also, what do you think would be good other distribution channels to make people aware of this meetup?

Cheers,
Michael

I’ve been thinking about an abstract/outline and the more I think the less I am sure what would be interesting.

Right now I am thinking of a talk that is ~“one slide per topic” of the various aspects we covered at the WoW in Montreal. The target audience would then be researchers (or others) who want to start an open project. This would give them some pointers on where to go and what to think about.

WDYT?

Hi Tim

Unfortunately the 27th won’t be possible. I’ve asked Uwe if there are any other dates that would be. I’ll get in touch with you once I hear back.

For the content, I think that is a good idea. I’m not sure how many people we can gather who actually want to start a new open project or are researchers. Maybe we could mitigate that risk by having a general introduction to Open Science at the beginning? This might attract some people who are less research focused but still interested. Then going into further detail on why the different aspects you covered at WOW can further deepen the understanding. What do you think?

Cheers,
Michael