Let's Increase Firefox Market Share

With the Andreas Gal’s latest post it is quite clear that we are losing our market share and same can be seen on Wikipedia’s Usage Share Page.

I am a Mozilla Rep. When I joined Mozilla 4 years back, I was literally knowing only three browsers Internet Explorer(thanks to Microsoft), Google Chrome(here due to Android) and Opera Mini(Only browser which uses less data then).
But thanks to the community in Rajasthan which was so much active then, promoting Mozilla and it’s Mission. That was the first time when I get to know about Mozilla Firefox. Firefox is a product which is the core of Mozilla, this is what I believe and assume other volunteers,mozillians and Reps believe the same.

Today, Firefox is mainly used by Mozilla volunteers and few engineers that to are losing faith in it due to compatibility issue and other problems.To name a few, Hangout call is not supported by Firefox, which we use more often for our monthly meeting in India. So what we could do is, create a campaign just like Firefox Nightly and Rain of Rust to promote the use of Firefox, where we will introduce this browser to the students which are still unaware of the browser, which you may agree too.

We are a country with a population of over 1.311 billion where 315 million are students, if we could target those and industry people. This will definitely increase our market share.

I agree that Firefox sometimes doesn’t behave well and we lack other support too which is available in other browsers. I also see a great opportunity for us to make this browser more advanced and easy to use.We want a browser which we love. During this campaign, we will be collecting lots of feedback and suggestions and how you want this browser for yourself. Then we will share these reports with Mozilla staff and help them to create a browser which people love.

I would love to know your feedback and suggestion regarding this campaign as well as any correction will be appreciatable.

Cheers,
Shahbaz
Mozilla Rep
Mozilla Firefox User

3 Likes

Hi @shahbaz17

Your concerns are super valid, and it’s great that you think on ways to increase awareness about Firefox.

I have a couple of questions, that might help on the planning of this campaign:

1. What would be the structure of this campaign? (what kind of events are you thinking)
  2. Are you planning on having an event kit for this?, since you are targeting a big country, perhaps the whole community should be involved and needs to understand the structure, agenda, etc.
  3. Have you contacted the Campus Club to check if they can help you with this?
  4. How are you planning to collect feedback (survey?), and how do you think that feedback will be shared and with who?

Cheers,

Hi @shahbaz17

I really appreciate your concern. You have actually mentioned the real scenario which is happening with Firefox browser currently. Really, its users are very less as compared to other browsers (however I believe that Firefox is most secured browser available over the web and it is better than most of the browsers in many aspects). Most people (from different domains and backgrounds) have switched to other browsers. For example, UC browser, in its initial stages, got tremendous attention from all over the world. And now it’s one of the most used browsers (guarantees fast speed other than any other browser). So, I think if a new organisation like this can arise itself in such a competitive race, then why not Firefox ? But seriously, I believe we, the contributors, alone cannot make it. Mozilla higher authorities and the people involved with Firefox in any way should discuss, plan and formulate strategies to make it happen. This is much required now.

I am ready to work closely with this initiative.

Hello @franc thanks for helping us with the valid questions. Here are the answers which I have come up with.

1. This will be a beginner to advance level of talk about Mozilla and Firefox.The target audience will be mainly newbies and those who are not aware of Firefox browser.
  • What is Mozilla and It’s Mission?

• What is Firefox? Available flavours for different platforms

• What are the tools available in Firefox? How good it’s performance is in comparison to others in the market.

• How to contribute to Firefox? Coding is not the only way to contribute, we’ll explain them about bug reporting and raising features demand( i mean missing one or the one which is popular among people)

1. Yes, there will be a kit for this campaign. I’m requesting other mozillians to join us in this campaign. Also, we will need Mozilla’s staff guidance in making a structure for the same.
    3.Will contact them now. Thanks for suggesting :slight_smile:
    4.After the event or during the event we will ask participants to fill the feedback form and will ask them to suggest any changes them want to see in Firefox browser. This form responses will be shared with the Firefox team

Thanks for your response. Yes, we need people like you to come forward for our beloved browser.
Let’s make an impact among people.
It’s true we need Mozilla staff and higher authorities for making this campaign and our browser a great one.
Looking forward to seeing good responses from them :slight_smile:

I have been using a Linux operating system and Firefox ever since the demise of support for Windows XP. That is, until I tried Opera. It would seem that Opera has one feature that no other browser has: Virtual Private Network built in. It is the one feature that makes Opera my preferred browser. I would go back to Firefox in a heartbeat when Virtual Private Network is supported in Firefox.