Is it possible for me to develop an addon for personal use?

I’d like to develop a persistent extension for personal use. seeing how it’s only going to be used on this one computer, I don’t see any reason to submit it to AMO.

Is switching to an unbranded version my only choice?

1 Like

Unbranded or Developer edition.
(There are also some Firefox forks that use the same/similar engine but not all addons would work on them.)
You can have your addon signed & unlisted but that is not practical if it is only for your own use and complicates further development.

I had to switch to Unbranded/Nightly (a bit buggy though) since I work on my addons and couldn’t run them while working on them due to signing.

1 Like

The unbranded version of the release builds should be stable. It is just the same as the release build, minus signing stuff and some things related to appearance. Nightly builds may be buggy, occasionally even totally broken, but much of the time are quite usable. You could also use the Aurora (alpha or pre-beta) build which does not enforce signing.

1 Like

From what I have noticed, the unbranded is the same as Nightly.
I downloaded the unbranded and it says Nightly and it has bugs.
So, Unbranded is not the same as Release without the signing.

Also, the Developer edition is the same as Aurura.
I found it confusing too, but that is what I was told.

1 Like

Unbranded is by far not the same as nightly. Though it might auto update if you don’t disable that (at least the builds linked on the wiki still have that bug). The “nightly” branding is the default branding, which is exactly what “unbranded” refers to.

1 Like

Developer Edition is basically the new name for Aurora. It lies between nightly and beta in the release cycle. Besides being a couple of version numbers ahead of the release version, it also has a number of extra features enabled which are intended to be useful only for developers (mostly web developers). It enforces signing but you can disable this with a hidden preference.

Beta is essentially one version down from release, so it is the version that will be released next. There may be minor other differences, for example, the e10s experiment, but bar last-minute bug fixes, it is the next release version. It enforces signing and this can’t be disabled.

The “unbranded builds” are variations of the beta and release versions that look a little different, but functionally the only difference should be that you can disable the signing requirement. These builds are pretty new, but the tracking bug for them has now been closed. There are a handful of bugs open against them, including that they auto-upgrade back to the branded version.

2 Likes

The “unbranded builds” are variations of the beta and release versions that look a little different, but functionally the only difference should be that you can disable the signing requirement. These builds are pretty new, but the tracking bug for them has now been closed. There are a handful of bugs open against them, including that they auto-upgrade back to the branded version.

this is interesting.

1 Like