Installation of a self-distributed XPI from personal page

Hi all,

I try to implement solution explained at https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Installing_Extensions_and_Themes_From_Web_Pages in order to have a “download-install” button for my self-distributed (non AMO) extension.

All is working fine … but I have a problem till the installation itself.

I try to do it without modifying the white list of Firefox (not user friendly at my point of view).

In fact the process download well the XPI file (from addons-mozilla.org or from my personnal site), but during installation itself, I have a warning popup asking installation authorization for my site.

How can I avoid this as Chrome do it with its inline_installation (https://developer.chrome.com/webstore/inline_installation) ? Is there a solution from Firefox side ?

I can accept (as on Chrome) a button to install effectivelly the extension but not a security warning :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help and advices.
François

Your options for self-distribution are to either go through the flow you just described, or bundle your add-on in an application installer, in which case the flow is a bit different. See here for more information:

Hi Jorge,

Thank you for your opinion and advices.

I will have a check.
François

I am creating addons for my webpage.I signed it for self distribution but it is generating the extension file in below format
screen_sharing_extension-0.0.1-an+fx (1).xpi
I don’t why it is adding this ‘an+fx (1)’ in xpi file and when I am try to download this file it giving error, that file is not found but when I am rename the file by removing the extra : ‘an+fx (1)’ , I am able to download it successfully.
But again I am facing the problem while inline install.I t is giving error :File could not be downloaded because of connection failure.
Please help me how can i fix these issue .

I see you started a separate thread about this issue. Please reply if there’s still anything you need help with.

Hi Jorge,

About my original request, all is solved. The request made by rbt.taxlinked is not mine …

Thanks for your help.
François