Meta Working Group: Improve the Reps Portal for recognition

The Meta Working Group have the role to define the specializations of the reps and we have to discuss how to improve our reference portal for this scope, with that info we can analyze and improve our groups to identify the best rep for the best role also to identify how to combine the specializations of every rep.

The information in every rep profile are in the ‘Interested in’ field and with the reporting system is possible define the most used activities.

An example of Interested in:

Actual the activity, initiative, functional areas are these.

Activity

• Add-on created
  • Bug fixed
  • Bug reported
  • Bug verified/triaged
  • Communicated with my mentee/mentor
  • Community Yearbook created
  • Consulted for a functional area
  • Firefox OS build created for a device
  • Firefox OS Developer Preview installed on Android device
  • Firefox OS latest version flashed on a device
  • Gave a talk
  • Interviewed with the press
  • Participated in a campaign
  • Participated in a meeting
  • Published a video or audio
  • Recruited a Mozillian
  • Worked on program duties: Reviewed swag, budget, requests
  • Worked on project planning
  • Wrote an article

Initiative

• Campus Campaing
  • Community Spaces program
  • Connected Devices Participation
  • Firefox for Android campaign
  • Other
  • Stumbling in a Box
  • Tech speakers program

Functional Areas

• Accessibility
  • Addons
  • Advocacy and policy
  • Apps
  • Automation
  • Business Development
  • Coding
  • Connected Devices
  • Creative
  • Developer Documentation
  • Developer Tools
  • Engineering Program Management
  • Finance
  • Firefox Desktop
  • Firefox Mobile
  • Firefox OS
  • Fundraising
  • Graphics
  • Hive Network
  • Identity
  • Infrastructure Security
  • Labs
  • Legal
  • Localization
  • Location Services
  • Market Insights
  • Metrics
  • Mozilla Learning Network
  • Mozilla Reps
  • Open Badges
  • Participation
  • People
  • Privacy
  • Product Marketing
  • Public Relations
  • Quality Assurance
  • Recruiting
  • Security
  • Services
  • Students
  • Support
  • Systems Administration
  • Technical Evangelism
  • Thunderbird
  • User Engagement
  • User Research
  • UX
  • Web Development
  • WebFWD
  • WoMoz

So what we have to define in this thread:

• Add new activities, initiatives, functional areas
  • How to improve the reporting systems
  • Create/define a new view to filters that informations with the users informations with statistics

With that information we can analyze the specializations required to improve the areas, promote to use the report system and define the specializations of a rep.

Maybe we can combine that informations with the Mozillian profiles.

1 Like

I’m confused by the framing. Is this about recognition or improving reporting?

There are a few open topics about reporting:

https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/make-reporting-faster-and-more-fun/1413

Is not only how to improve the reporting system but how to combine that information of reporting system with the infos from the profile to understand the skills and activity of the rep.
In this way is possible reconize a rep for their awards and real activities that are tracked from the reporting system and not from as example as recommendation letter or similar.

I missed that thread but we can move on that discussion how to improve the reporting system.

As I see it, we can improve both at the same time. Meaning providing a good way to report what Reps are passionately doing, and also figure out a way to have the possibility to show this to the outside world.

I will comment on this later this weekend with my ideas.

As I mentioned before, I see this is a big opportunity to

• Improve the visibility of Reps activities
  • Provide an easy way to show off activities that you have done as a Rep

Therefore I have the following questions:

• Which activities do not make sense anymore and should be deactivated? (can we do that without losing the previous reports?)
  • Which activities should be added?
  • Which functional areas should be added? Which ones should be deactivated? (same question here regarding previous reports and events)
  • How could a possible view look like so that Reps could show off their achievements in an easy way? (we might want to get some designers into this, great way to get involved if we create an issue in the community creative repo?)
  • How else could we use the Reps portal for recognition that we haven’t thought of?

To be honest, for now I would leave the Initiatives as it is. I would concentrate on the Activities that Reps want to show on their profile and on functional areas we might missing (this is important for the functional area specialization I think).

Here is my take on it:

Activities:

Add-on created
Bug fixed
Bug reported
Bug verified/triaged
Communicated with my mentee/mentor
[archive] Community Yearbook created
Consulted for a functional area
Firefox OS build created for a device
[archive] Firefox OS Developer Preview installed on Android device (or are we still going for this in an IoT perspective?)
Firefox OS latest version flashed on a device
Gave a talk
Interviewed with the press
Participated in a campaign
Participated in a meeting
Published a video or audio
Recruited a Mozillian
Worked on program duties: Reviewed swag, budget, requests
Worked on project planning
Wrote an article
[add] promoted Mozilla on Social Media
[add] educated somebody about Mozilla’s mission
[add] completed a task for a functional area

Functional areas

Accessibility
Addons
Advocacy and policy
[archive] Apps
Automation
Business Development
Coding
Connected Devices
Creative
Developer Documentation
Developer Tools
Engineering
Program Management
Finance
Firefox Desktop
Firefox Mobile
[archive] Firefox OS
Fundraising
Graphics
Hive Network
[archive] Identity
Infrastructure
Security
[archive] Labs
Legal
Localization
Location Services
Market Insights
Metrics
Mozilla Learning Network
Mozilla Reps
Open Badges —> are we still active here? Haven’t heard about Badges for a looong time [Update: yes, we are, https://blog.webmaker.org/mozillas-continued-commitment-to-open-badges)
Participation
People
Privacy
Product Marketing
Public Relations
Quality Assurance
Recruiting
Security
Services
Students
Support
Systems Administration
Technical Evangelism
[archive] Thunderbird
User Engagement
User Research
UX
Web Development
[archive] WebFWD
WoMoz

I just put “archived” in front of the ones we probably don’t want to have anymore. There are a lot in there that are not functional areas, but we might still need to keep. What do you think about that? (for example WoMoz, Recruiting)

Regarding how it could look to show off the activities or how to use it for recognition else, I currently don’t have an idea. Will jump into this and think about it though. I think having good ways to report important activities and having a nice view for that would be a really good first step.

For functional areas i am agree with you but i think that we have to leave Thunderbird because is a mozilla project like Instabird.
Also I think that we have to add different “Participated in a meeting” or “Worked on project planning” like:

• Participated in a meeting for event
  • Participated in a meeting for recruiting (in that case recruiting is on functional areas so is not required)
  • Participated in a meeting for internal organization

In this way for us is easy to track the specialization of the rep, actually for that we have to read the description of the report and this require ah human interaction.

I think that in Initiative we have to add:

• Firefox Club constitution (or something for firefox club)
  • Events (other is too much generic but event will be useful to track events that not are in that list)

Maybe we have to think something also to track discourse activity like for specific argument.

Also a case example is me that add in a day the reports for the last months activity in one day on the portal and as a developer I need new Activities:

• Started a new project (is different from working, is it already started, and can be used in many activities)
  • Pull request done (between a fixed bug as an approved pr and bug approved there is a different of time that can be of months)
  • New release of a project (actually is impossible to track that)

Also for Initiative:

• Community Design (I participate in the tickets with code and discussion, what do you think @helios ?)
  • WebDevs (to track the participation in the project of that team)
  • Reps Next (to track the participation of reps in that working groups)
  • FoxFooding

And for finish i think to help the pole to pick the correct functional areas that are too many we can automatize that. Example: Pick as initiative Reps Next and automatically the functional areas Mozilla Reps is selected.
With that we can improve the UX of the reporting dashboard.

I personally feel that reporting should be automated and fetched from different sources, we need to ease the process.

With the new RepsNext proposal, manual reporting should to be only mandatory for Resources track Reps which have a strong accountability. We should find a way to get automatic reports for the other two tracks.

Quote at 100%, maybe something http://areweamillionyet.org/ that extract the info of the reps from Mozillians (to get all the groups and interesting) but for automatic reporting we can integrate the webhook of GitHub and something for Bugzilla.
The first to track the participation in coding and organization/planning and the second for the reps request and fro coding and translation.

I think these working groups are a great opportunity to really take stock of what is and isn’t working with the systems we have now. In my opinion there is no point in improving the drop downs, I think a proper evaluation of what Reps need (and not what the reporting system needs), would come up with a different approach than what currently exists.

I believe that what Reps need is not a tool that helps them report one off activities (we still don’t really have a clear idea on what impact such reports have), but that lets them identify and work towards their goals, as well as tracking the success of those goals - including tracking contacts made from introduction to contribution.

@mkohler, do you think important to specify activities related to Mozilla Clubs?
Examples:
It became a Mozilla Clubs Captain
Hosted a new Mozilla Clubs
Hosted a new Maker Party
Created new teaching activities
Organized a new local meetup Mozilla Clubs

Or representatives should use the other generic descriptions?

I really like the discussion here!

@majken what do you think would be the best framwork to come up with something completely new together?

1 Like

I think there are some standard roadmapping techniques available to use. First we need to agree on the basic questions then ask them. Stuff like “what are Reps trying to do” and “what do we want them to be doing.” Once we agree on the questions then we want to agree on a MVP (Minimum Viable Product) for reaching that. Some basic requirements for functionality. Then we’d compare what already exists. Does the process make it easy to accomplish what we agreed our goals are? Probably also want to evaluate what it does make it easy to do, and decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

If the tool as existed did meet the requirements of the MVP, then you could ask what improvements should be made, to start including the nice-to-haves.

Also a tool not meeting the MVP doesn’t mean that tool that existed before was poor, it could also mean that the goals and the MVP have changed, so it’s important to do a full evaluation from time to time, not just look for improvements.

What we want Reps to do should be easy to define, because that is already defined by the leadership and council. Let’s use the (easy) example of events, let’s say the purpose of this portal was only to support Reps in planning and running events. We could then map out what Reps need to do that, and then include it in the portal. Right now the portal is built for a Rep to input info on an even that’s already planned. We can easily see that a Rep needs somewhere to say they want to have an event before they’ve decided on a date or a venue. Now let’s say that we want this portal to encourage Reps to plan events for specific campaigns. We’d want to start with something that lets a Rep simply say “my goal is to have an event for this initiative.” It should inform the mentor, perhaps prompt the mentor to schedule a meeting to discuss the event, remind the Rep to continue planning the event… etc. etc.

(ok this is long, sorry)

So the ask in the topic here is to improve the portal for recognition. If that’s the scope of the improvement here, then we should be asking questions that work backward. What kind of recognition? Recognition for what? What do we want to do with that recognition? If we want to recognize Reps for attending lots of meetings then we’d want to evaluate how easy it is for Reps to say they were at meetings. Also, we should stop using the word recognize, it’s very passive. Do we want to reward Reps for attending meetings? Simply count the number of Reps that attend meetings? Encourage Reps to attend more meetings? Discourage more than one Rep from attending the same meeting?

So! First we need clearer goals for the improvements, then I’d say a shared doc for brainstorming on questions and answers to the questions, and maybe a kick-off meeting?

1 Like

Maybe we can add in list something about Mozilla Science and Open-Fellows.
Mozilla is involved in many programs that for someone maybe are unknown.

I think that the remo portal require a very big improvement but actually is not easy as for the development. So I think that in the meantime we can improve the actual list in the reporting view as a starting point to evaluate all the next steps.

Hi @mkohler, we have more updates on this proposal? I believe it is very important to improve the description of activities, a way to do this is to better defining each activity.

I’m very attached to Mozilla Learning Network, I believe it is important to have more activities related to this functional area in the report system.

I started to write the proposal in these days for Monday is ready.

The document is ready https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rghXJw4ulgmvFlEnm75p84F5KdXYqKYkTIE2F_grYaw/edit as explained inside these are proposal to improve the actual platform and not to do a new version of remo portal.
Contain also tickets to discuss and many ideas that can (after discussion) moved as tickets on bugzilla.

I’ve added some comments on the doc. I feel that we are missing a lot of background on the doc about why these items are proposed and not others.

I improved after your feedback, thanks for your feedback :slightly_smiling:

Hey guys,

I believe it is very important create a new layout for the website Mozilla Reps based on the mozmaker demo available on GitHub, I believe the website Mozilla Advocacy and Take Back The Web already use this new and modern layout. The idea is to modernize the interface, but not create a new portal.

Cheers,
Geraldo Barros