How can participating in Mozilla bring value to you?

The 2015 participation plan aims to bring a virtuous circle to Mozilla: by opening up participation for more volunteers in more areas of Mozilla both the volunteers and the functional areas will benefit and create value for each other. Help us find out what value and benefit means for you by answering some of this questions: How does value for your life looks like? How could participating in Mozilla help you personally? What would you like to learn by participating? How would you like to grow?

3 Likes
  • How does value for your life looks like?

I could use some context for the word value here.

• How could participating in Mozilla help you personally?

Mozilla is a place where (theoretically) someone can build skills and gain responsibility based on their actual impact, not on their resume/cv. Having been a stay at home mom for so long, I have been able to develop skills in my own time, from home. Moving forward, I need to start building a career, and so my participation within Mozilla can help start my career further along than I would be able to otherwise.

• What would you like to learn by participating?

I realized from the different things I like to do for Mozilla that I am really interested in project management. I am a lot more interested in the logistics and the planning than the doing. I would personally like to develop project management skills and experience.

• How would you like to grow?

My answer to this is similar to the answer above. I’d like to grow as a project manager so that I can step into a career. Through Mozilla I have already grown in understanding my own strengths and weaknesses, and not feeling guilty for them, as well as learning how to step back when I’m passionate about something “if it’s a good idea, chances are someone else will also come up with it.”

I’ve also grown an appreciation for other cultures, other languages other timezones. Everything is so English and North America centric, and I am glad for the opportunity to understand how wrong that is. :wink:

1 Like

I could use some context for the word value here.

I think the term “value” is as vague and rich as possible, on purpose. Part of the question is really what meaning of the word value people experience or anticipate.

I’d start a list with Joy, Family, Money, Career, Power, Impact. The list is much bigger than that, and it shouldn’t be the same list in the same order for any two mozillians, I guess.

1 Like

Hey folks! I’m totally new here and will definitely introduce myself more properly in the days ahead.

In the meantime, I wanted to offer this resource on exploring your own personal values:

I’ve found the exercise to be:
(i) personally rewarding, and
(ii) I’ve been part of teams that have built and facilitated some great workshops in the past around a similar methodology that can be powerful in building teams and communities.

I even ran the workshop once with my family (partner, mother, father, brother) – which was amazing at helping to expose the roots of some dysfunction!!

Finally, I think these are an amazing set of questions for strengthening our modes and channels of participation at Mozilla. In my experience, the more we can align with the heart of people’s motivation and values, and design for this, the more energy and creativity we will unlock while having individuals feel extremely fulfilled.

1 Like

What do I value?

1. Service - to the broad social changes I see are needed in our world, to people dedicating themselves to causes and doing amazing work, to organizations I believe are crucial for our world to be amazing 100 years from now

2. Inventiveness and constant improvement - always challenging the status quo, asking how we can do better together, asking how I can be a better human being

3. Empathy - recognizing my own priviledge and difference by extending myself to see the world through other people’s eyes

4. Hard work - for me, there’s no replacement … sure I work smart, but smart + hard = a lot of things going from idea to execution. For me, hard work is one way I can express to the world how much I believe in what I’m doing.

How could participating in Mozilla help you personally?
I’m here to fulfill my life’s purpose: To unlock the potential of millions to collectively create a better world. Mozilla is one of the greatest platforms in the world for this kind of impact, and we can show many other organizations and individuals how it’s done.

What would you like to learn by participating? How would you like to grow?
Tactically:
I haven’t dug into an open source project since I was a student engineer in University (15 years ago), and so I’m really excited to learn about modern ways of open source participation (and how we can evolve these to be even more effective over the next 5-10 years).

Granular professional/personal development
I also have 2 more goals: being more precise (in my language and my efforts) and being more prepared (in order to deliver a higher level of excellence).

Big picture personal development
I often motivate myself through a feeling of inadequacy: I set the bar intentionally much higher than I can reach, and when I get close, I push it further out of reach. This sense of inadequancy drives me, but it can also breed under-confidence and defensiveness, and can make others feel judged.

The question is: What makes participating in Mozilla great for this learning/development? Quick answer: The diversity and dedication of Mozillians, along with a strong drive for collective achievement, is a powerful mix that will hold me accountable for this growth.

3 Likes

Great answers, also thanks, now I understand the first question!

strengthen foreign language skills, get to know new ones learn
to work in an open environment with high visibility, understanding the
value of transparency, courage and having fun while getting the job done may get the opportunity to travel to meet fellow contributors
chance to get out of your comfort zone into new areas: meet new people,
ask for things, share things, talk to dozens or hundreds of people,
learn about other areas as you will find yourself wearing many hats been
a volunteer activity you will be forced (by yourself) to identify what
really matters and is worth your time and what’s not, MVP (minimum
viable product) will become a living goal and not a theoretical one best
part: you don’t have to think about all this, it will come to you by
yourself or through fellow mozillians, just be ready to embrace it!you will understand how the web works and learn to value it and not to take it for granted greater
access to educational resources on many topics (for l10n, we’re
beginning to give out trail subscriptions to industry magazines, for
example)develop skills you can use in your career

How does value for your life looks like?
Friends, Families, and Opportunities.

It helps me to have global connections to people across oceans. It also helps me to learn a lot from others.

What would you like to learn by participating?
The managing skills. I join the Mozilla Reps program, from that program, i learn a lot on how to manage people, time, plans, etc.

How would you like to grow?
By participating in Mozilla, i wish that i can help to grow Mozilla and as well grow my self and my own business. I run a web design business, so following the latest web trends will be so important for me. Mozilla is where mostly the web innovations started, so i picked the right place! I hope my participations can also help others to grow, especially help local communities to grow in their own respective areas.

This answer mixes my understanding of “value” and “purpose” (see Simek).

Contributing to Mozilla is connecting mind and action to a purpose. The Manifesto clearly outlines Mozilla’s goals and mission. This provides the context for feeling joyful and proud while dedicating energy (i.e. service) to Mozilla.

So much for a very brief answer to the question of bringing value to my life.

-Henrik

How does value for your life looks like?
Impact, family & friends, career

• Make impact that can help my career (Internet industry), together with friends around the world.
  • Learning from others, especially about to cooperate with people speak different language / in different timezone online.
  • Connect with OSS supporters who might possibly be my next employer :stuck_out_tongue: (It’s great to work with people that support open source movement, really.)

What would you like to learn by participating? How would you like to grow?

• Communication skill: by join the discussion (even watching how people debate things can help a lot.)
  • Teaching skill: by participating webmaker.org
  • Project planning / managing: by check out / help refine the documents on Wiki / Bugzilla
  • How does value for your life looks like?
    Family & friends, career and Opportunities.
  • How could participating in Mozilla help you personally?
    It helps me grow a good relation within my country people as well as global community. As other I have learned how to talked with different kinds of people, how to grow a community from the scratch. I have learned how I can serve my country and my people from my existing knowledge. It helped me to give product based support skill also.
  • What would you like to learn by participating?
    Still I am learning about community, more specifically open source community. As time are passing I am learning. I am more interested to learn about logistic, community management and product support.
  • How would you like to grow?
    My answer is similar to the above question answer.