Getting involved

So I’ll start this by saying I tried to get involved in the past, but it seemed if you did not hang out on IRC this wasn’t easy… However, not everyone has the time to sit on IRC to find out what is going on due to work etc. :smile:

I’m a Lead Devops engineer as a day job, supporting the developers and the System Administrator. I’m also a PHP developer with skills and experience in Wordpress and Multisite. Also experienced in LAM§ and gaining experience in Lighttpd and Varnish.

In addition to this I’m based in South Oxfordshire, UK and work in an office in the Vauxhall area of London.

I’ve been passionate about Mozilla for a number of years and am keen to get involved… So how do I do this given the first statement about not being able to get involved on IRC all the time?

Thanks for getting in touch!

We’re still figuring some of this out. You’re right, IRC is the best place, but it’s not the only place. What we’re finding has success so far is to have new volunteers attend some of the meetings, this is to help you get an idea of what we’re working on so that you can tell us where you’d like to get involved.

We currently have two meetings, a triage meeting where we rapid fire go through tasks and discussions to make sure they’re moving forward - which is good to join, but hard to participate in - on Thursdays at 12pm ET (currently 1700 UTC). The other is our infrastructure meeting which is for talking a bit more in depth about the status of our different projects and what the next steps are. This one is better for getting started, we’ve just moved the time to 4pm ET on Sundays (currently 2100 UTC) - and of course we subsequently missed the first meeting after the time change!

You can read through past discussions here as well. Basically just please feel free to speak up and say “I think I can help with this” or “I’d like to learn how to help with this” and we’ll get you in touch with the right person. Edit: Also please say things like “tell me more about this,” that is easy for us to respond to!

Hi Kensie

Thanks for responding…

As it is I couldn’t make the Thursday one anyway as I’m at work at 5PM UTC :slight_smile:

I will attempt to join the Sunday one though…

I’ll read through here and see what I can do and ask questions in the relevant threads.

Colin

What times work best for you? What geography are you in? @majken and I have been trying to rejigger the meeting times to be more inclusive (hence the Sunday meeting time).

Well, from the point of view of me, 9PM UTC is best for me weekdays, but it probably doesn’t suit everyone else :smiley:

The weekends are obviously more open!