[FOSDEM 2017] Call for Papers/Talks

Hi fellow mozillians,

One more year FOSDEM is coming. The biggest FLOSS event in Europe will be held as usual at Brussels on February 4th-5th 2017.
Mozilla has presence since 2003, and next year we will have a Mozilla Room again.

This is a call for all mozillians (staff and volunteers) to propose your talks for FOSDEM.

If you want, you can propose a talk for the other dev-rooms in pentabarf.

The topics that we want to cover for this next edition are:

• Rust/Servo
  • Privacy tools
  • Diversity & Inclusion
  • IoT/Connected Devices
  • WebVR
  • WebCompat
  • Addons
  • Firefox for Android / iOS
  • HTML5 games
  • Firefox

However, we will accept any other topic, but ideally these are the suggested ones.

Important Information
Duration of the talks: 30 minutes including Q&A
Deadline: December 1st.
Acceptance notifications: December 15th.

Presentations will be recorded and streamed, so sending your proposal it will imply that you accept and give permission for this. Note that recording will be published under the same license as all FOSDEM content (cc-by), however, exceptions could be requested.

To submit your proposal, visit :
https://penta.fosdem.org/submission

If you have previously sent a proposal for FOSDEM, you should probably have a pentabarf account. So we kindly suggest you to not create a new one. If you forgot your password, please reset it. If this is your first time using pentabarf, go ahead and create an account.

After you have your account configured (you will receive a confirmation email), create the event, and click on “Show all” in the top right corner to display the full form. When submitting your talk in pentabarf, make sure to select “Mozilla DevRoom” as track, and include the following information:

• The title and subtitle of your talk
  • A short abstract of one paragraph
  • A longer description if you wish to do so
  • Links to related websites/blogs etc

All contributors who will be selected for a talk, will be sponsored for travel and accommodation.

Regards,

6 Likes

I just submitted a presentation on Redox OS, a new operating system developed in Rust. I’ve submitted to the OS Room, though, rather than the Mozilla DevRoom.

1 Like

Well I done like 4 proposal for the Mozilla room, and other 4 in 3 other rooms.

I am available to add more information for my proposals in case.

1 Like

Dear @franc,

Actually I already have an existing pentabarf account created 1 month ago, but I haven’t submitted any proposal yet! But my idea is related to microservices and Machine Learning/AI, which is not given in the list of next edition.
Can you please add topics from these two ML/AI or Cloud Monitoring ? So that I can able to propose a talk on any of these two.

Cheers,
Amit Kumar Jaiswal

Hello Amit,

You can propose whatever you want, but has to be related to Mozilla topics. I mean, if you want to send a proposal with that topic, perhaps you should check which other devroom is more appropriated for your talk.

Cheers,

1 Like

Hey Franc,
I’d like to know if 2 guys can together present a talk or will they have to prepare for 2 different talks?

Regards.

Hey Franc,
I’d like to know if 2 guys can together present a talk or will they have to prepare for 2 different talks?

Regards.

You can, we had submissions made by 2 people in previous years, you can check our previous schedules.

Regards,

how to apply for speaker session ?

Hey @franc can you help me in that ?

Hello Agrawal,

Please check the first post in this topic, you have to submit it through Penta, the plaftorm from FOSDEM.

Regards,

Hello Francisco, I just wanted to know whether Mozilla will sponsor the talks accepted for Mozilla dev room only or any talk for other rooms submitted by Mozillians,

Hello Asma,

Unfortunately we only cover volunteers that applies for helping at the event (please check the other topic in discourse), and volunteers that applies for talks at our devroom. If you apply for other devroom, and your talk is accepted (for clarification, we don’t “vote” on other devrooms, nor suggest other devrooms to accept certain talks), you will have to cover your trip and accommodation.

As a side note, please check that according to the other topic, we will be prioritizing people that lives in Europe, since the event is an European event, not a Mozilla event.

Regards,

1 Like

Again back to your old form? :stuck_out_tongue:

Just submitted a presentation of Project Lighthouse in the IoT room.

It’s good
I make cookie Firefox 3D :grin:

Hey, I can hold an Aframe / Servo WebVR build workshop. Potentially a WebAR exploration depending on the status then.

PS: sorry for the late submission