Etherpad transition to Etherpad Lite

Hi @george

I tried to recover an urgent working pad of our local SuMo team, but failed to do so. Can you please give me a copy of this pad. This pad is very much important for our running sprint, if we can not recover it, we (reviewer) will have hard time :frowning: .

Wow, thats service. I have connection to the former etherpad and coult save our meetingcontent.

Thank you very much.

(and sorry for my poor english;-)

1 Like

We now have a process for retrieving team pads ā€¦ please use this form to make a request.

http://goo.gl/forms/0qD9tkRlBU

1 Like

Iā€™ve started a topic in Community WebDev to discuss what features are missing from Etherpad Lite:
https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/what-do-we-want-in-etherpad-lite/4550

4 Likes

Update ā€“ Public pads from the following teams have been migrated to the new Etherpad Lite instance using the ā€œhttp://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/teamname-oldpadnameā€ format. For example https://remo.etherpad.mozilla.org/call-20-08-15 becomes https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/remo-call-20-08-15

Many of the pads are named slightly differently. Instead of the ā€œ-ā€ after the teamname, it should be ā€œ.ā€ ā€¦ if a pad doesnā€™t work, please try this different naming convention.

Those admins who requested access for these pads (through http://goo.gl/forms/0qD9tkRlBU) have been emailed a list of the pads that have been migrated and the new URLs. Please continue using that form and we will continue migration.

remo
participation
mozhispano
partinfra
cbt
koolkids
fdn
fundraising
hivechi-team
kt
teach
codingrights
bangladesh
datacarpentry
demeeting
frenchmoz
gurumukhi
harvardinformatics
mozillatunisia
pakistan
stn
654fa15
kerala
mozillahyderabad
team17
l10n
majken
mcr
mozafrica
mozilla-my
mozillasec
mozita
moznativo
peru
romania
ropensci
soft
swcarpentry
yomo
advocacy-in
antivig
apc
apc-impact
arabicmozilla
balkans
boletimav
chaasof
cipp
madagascar
melek
yo
cschh
unefox
babokimscans2
viglug
mozqabd
appdaystirupati
festival
kerala
frish
bfr
remocamp14
ireland
linksceem
cartwright
keenkiwis
mozmex
rpgpl
zbraniecki
l20n
mozillarian
multilinguismo
webmaker
kuga
india
rpgogogo
mssl
marincecritmaispastresbien
oneocii
eac
mfti
fkv
tilidinmann
fs15
mzfr
onso-collaboration
tedic
dclauzel
foundation
brazil
onso
hybr1s
ia
solartraveller
gaa
naegajeiljalnaga
ourhouse
time
dd
wcsedu
pokarokamoka

2 Likes

Hi @george

I was looking for your Bangladesh team pad

Sorry ā€¦ bangladesh should have been included in the list. It has been migrated.

Thank you George for driving this and the rest of the team for making it happen.

Are there any plans for the private or password protected pads?

More pads migrated. See updated list:
https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/etherpad-transition-to-etherpad-lite/4529/25

Weā€™re working on plans for this.

I still donā€™t know if I should laugh or cry. One word before shutting it down and all our work would have been saved (in a matter of minutes). But now, WE are in a panic and YOU have all this extra work. And the private pads that are the most critical are gone for now >_>
Thanks for trying to fix this mess, at leastā€¦ I guessā€¦

1 Like

[quote=ā€œseeam, post:18, topic:4529ā€]
I am a volunteer from Mozilla Bangladesh community. Mostly I contribute on SuMo l10, forum and advocacy. The thing is all of our past event and meeting records, future events planning was written in Etherpad. Even we have two event on Friday and Saturday. All the session planning was there and that pad was so important for us. Now I canā€™t recover it through the method you describe. Closing etherpad for bugs is a good decision but itā€™s really really very bad decision doing it without our acknowledgment. I think there are so many Mozillians who find this odd. Because that was our data and itā€™s gone without our confirmation. You people are just saying it now that, ā€œIt must be retiredā€. That means you were planning to close it, so you may give us a notice to shift our data before closing. In a open and broad community closing a key communication tool without any confirmation, it is really poor decision. ā€¦ So I am really frustrated about this decision.[/quote]
Well said!

Exactly. This is typical corporate behavior. Which Mozilla claims to be different from because of its transparency/open communication. The only way to have found out about this in advance was to accidentally stumble across the etherpad retirement bug (still hidden behind a security flag; closest public bug: Bug 831448) or hear about it from a Mozilla employee who happened to know.

Tons of sites in the past have announced retirement dates for parts of their sites months in advance, giving people enough time to backup/recover what they need. The exaggerated ā€œsecurityā€ issues mentioned here were not enough to require a immediate takedown. I felt completely blindsided by this. Sometimes Mozilla gets it right (old Sync servers graceful retirement [plus bonus 2nd notice with firm shutdown date], the Webmaker tools retirement/updates, Personas move to AMO Themes + Migration progress Update) and other times they get it wrong (this current Etherpad mess). Anyway, no need to send this feedback to the ā€œappropriate channelsā€ where it shall fall on deaf ears, I just wanted to say my piece. Til the next time when MozillaWiki gets forcibly retired with zero notice. :open_mouth: Which I thought to be impossible but now Iā€™m not so sure.

Who from IT will stand up and say they could have done this retirement better? Even the VP of IT couldnā€™t do the email blast for reasons unknown. Anyway, thanks George for trying to make the best of a bad situation.

1 Like

Yes I feel the same way. Also Mozilla Manifesto states that, ā€œTransparent community-based processes promote participation, accountability and trust.ā€. And I think that ā€œappropriate channelsā€ have failed to maintain the manifesto.

My open-source project team lost its entire project planning archive when you took your Etherpad service down. As I said in January when I filled out the form you provided for recovering team pads, it would have been really nice to get some kind of advance warning that this was going to happen, so that we could rescue our data.

It would also have been really nice to get any response whatsoever from submitting that form. Since itā€™s now almost March, no one has contacted me, and the URL patterns provided donā€™t work, Iā€™m trying again. Is there any way to recover our old pads?

FWIW, I also emailed the above comment to EtherpadTransition@mozilla.com. George responded within 24h and I had my teamā€™s pad archive back within 48h. Thanks, George and Justin!

1 Like

I and my group have been collaborating using public.etherpad-mozilla.org for a while now - and have found it helpful to embed the page using iframe. But since a day or so ago (today is 22nd November 2016) our web browsers raise a security alert and donā€™t allow the page to load. It appears to be the security settings of the etherpad page. Is there any way to get it back to as it was - because the mozilla etherpad has been the most stable that we have used.

Probably not the best ideaā€¦ Old outdated plugins, development stagnated or stopped and all you can find are Translation Wiki commits (thatā€™s not active development). Open PRs, no reaction to bugs introduced with commits. Thatā€™s what I can see while looking through this project.

The transition happened over two year ago :slight_smile: