End of Year Activity campaign

Summary:

• All Reps will get a certificate recognizing their contribution to Mozilla.
  • Reps that have been inactive for 3 months by December 31st will be moved to Alumni.
  • We want to see activity at the end of the year.
  • We propose 2 main areas: community yearbook and Firefox OS.
  • We’ll have special surprises for the Reps and communities that go above and beyond.

The Mozilla Reps program has usually provided a great way to document the work that Mozillians do, this year we want to make sure that Reps get a certificate for their contributions to Mozilla! The activity certificate will be awarded to all Reps who are active by the end of the year.

What does this mean for you? If you are an active Rep you will automatically get one! If you haven’t found the time to be active and have been inactive for more than 3 months by December 31st, we will also award you a certificate and transition you to Alumni according to our SOP.

This means that by the end of the year we want every single Rep to have a certificate that recognizes their contributions to the Mozilla project!

We also want to use this end of the year to push some cool initiatives that are important to the Mozilla mission. So we want you Reps to help us!

Timeline

Starts: November 30th 2015
Ends: December 31st 2015

Activities

Community yearbook

The Mozilla communities universe is difficult to explore for people outside of the community, we want your help to create a community yearbook and show all Mozillians your fantastic community and its achievements!

The idea is that you fill one page of the yearbook with the information about YOUR community, local, regional, or national, whatever you identify with. You will work together with the other Reps in that community and help us fill our cool Yearbook. In this way Mozillians all around the world will be able to learn about what you’re doing!

What is the best way to fill the Yearbook?

• Run a survey or check your resources to know:
    • Who you are? Number of mozillians, reps, fsas…
    • What are the main initiatives or focus areas (could be the functional areas)
  • What were the main initiatives, activities and events in 2015?
  • What were the biggest achievements in 2015?
  • How is the community organized?
  • How do people coordinate their work?
  • What are your main goals for 2016?

The council and mentors will give you a bit of feedback and sometimes ask for some more detail, so we hope we can work together in making this yearbook fantastic!

We made an example page for the yearbook that we hope will inspire you. Yous make a copy of the template slide and edit it. The more detail and links you provide, the better.

In the portal you will have the chance to report this new activity under Community Yearbook Initiative. There will be a special surprise for the 5 communities that have the best documented resources regarding 2015 and their plans for 2016.

Here’s a link to our Yearbook: http://bit.ly/1LDAp45

Firefox OS activities

In order to help Firefox OS get to new heights we want all Reps to help us to get as many people as possible to do the following activities:

• Install 2.5 Developer Preview (b2gDroid) on your Android Device
  • Report a bug
  • Fix a bug
  • Install latest Firefox OS version
  • Help port Firefox OS to an Android device
  • Create an add-on
  • Help verify/triage a bug

So if you complete these activities you are really helping us, but if you get many Mozillians to do these activities you are really deepening your impact!

In the Reps portal you will have the chance to report these new activities under Firefox OS Participation Initiative. We’ll have a special surprise for the 5 Reps who mobilize the most Mozillians to help us with Firefox OS.

Let the end-of-year fun begin!

Important: Please note that planning events requiring budget for the month of December is not advised as the Council will be busy working on a proposal. Furthermore the budget processing will be almost completely shut for the last 2 weeks of December due to end of year budget review.

22 Likes

For those interested in filing Firefox OS bugs, please make sure to read this post first. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Oh yeah! I really loved the way how Reps gonna be recognized. And the idea of yearbook is too good. Yearbook can be a good example to motivate new mozillians to join! As well as all communities will be highlighted. :smiley:
I believe these processes will really help to achieve our goal of 2016 and want to request to council to continue this process in every year! :smile:

1 Like

I really love this idea.

But I got a question with this, there are so many FSA’s who are going to participate in this and going to contribute with this program. How are they going to get recognized.

Thank you

2 Likes

FSA and Reps are different programs, this is aimed to just Reps even if anyone can do these activities.

1 Like

How do we keep track of the Mozillians we inspire? Is there a tracking URL or we just go by a heuristic estimate?

Awesome @Christos, Great initiative to get everyone back in the game.
Looking forward to see everyone participate.

Robby

@Christos,
Instead of hacking the yearbook template you provided can’t we build our own info graphic theme?

Rahul, that’s a fantastic idea! I would love to see the infographic and all of your creative ideas.

I would ask you to hack the template and include a link to your infographic. That way from the yearbook everyone can find all communities. Yours will offer additional materials. And maybe if your infograpic has the same format, we can attach it to the yearbook.

What do you think?

If anyone else has other ideas to complement the rather simple slide of the yearbook, go for them and make sure to link from the yearbook. We can figure out a good way to include them :wink:

1 Like

We don’t have an automatic way to track this. But you can point us to all the different people/activities that you could generate through your reports. The easier it is for us to see that activity the better (for example as bug triage or fixing). But we will make sure to work together with mentors to figure this out and make sure that we are seeing everything :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Hi Chris,

This is a very good initiative.

I am wondering how the present and past activities (that is localization, attending call, writing articles, etc… ) involved with the Africa FirefoxOS Community be accountable. Most of these activities have not been listed or created on the Moz Reps portal… I would have wish that these be considered for all those contributing in this community.

Best,

Ganesh

Thanks @rosana
just couple of days and me along with my community members will come up with super awesome thing :smile: we have already started planning.

On the template, on the upper left part, I can see that it says the number of mozillians and FSA of a certain community. There is a way to track mozillians on the mozillians website but how we gonna measure the numbers of FSA of our community?

Apart from this, this idea looks really good!

Tanha, I know that it might be a bit difficult to estimate the number of active FSAs but it would be great if Reps and FSAs could work together figuring this out. That way we learn how to find out that number and have a base number to see our progress in the future :sun_with_face:
If you have a good solution for this please share it with all :smile_cat:

Hey @rahultalreja26051994 do share at @community-india mailing list too, that would help a lot. :smile:

I think the FSA team can say from the database that how many FSA signed up for the program but measuring the active ones will be bit difficult. I think the community can ask the club leads to start measuring the number of active FSA from each campus. That can sort of help :smiley:

1 Like

I think this is a great initiative and valid point to activate all the Reps.
Certificate of appreciation is a great way to recognize the efforts of contributors :+1:

1 Like

It’s really very difficult to estimate the exact total for active FSA but we Mozilla Bangladesh created a doc back in May, 2013 in our Facebook group where all the new FSA were asked to put their names after they get registered with FSA. So, we really have a number which shows the total registered FSA from Mozilla Bangladesh regardless currently active or not. So, that’s something for us i think :smile:

2015 was a very good year for Mozilla Cuba, despite of not being the most active year. Sharing the Community Yearbook with you all (Mozilla Cuba Yearbook Slide)

2 Likes