Contact add-on author or taking over a dead add-on

There is an add-on which I have been using long ago but it is not working for some years. It is a free add-on listed in the mozilla add-on website and is a legacy add-on which uses XUL overlay.

I am a developer and I would like to take over this add-on which seems to be dead for around 3 years. I checked to see if there is a way to contact the add-on author in the add-on site and couldn’t find how. Can someone from the community please guide me?

And what if the author do not respond?

We can try to contact the developer for you if you tell us which one is it. However, if the developer is unresponsive, we can’t give the add-on listing to someone else. In that case, the best approach is to fork the add-on (if the license allows it) and create a new listing.

2 Likes

Thanks for response @jorgev

This is the author: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/rafael-de-freitas/

The license is GPL 3 and if the author do not respond which is the right way to fork the add-on?

Ok, I sent a message. If you don’t hear back from me in a couple of weeks, it’s safe to say that the developer isn’t answering for the add-on, and your best option will be to fork it.

You just need to change the add-on ID in install.rdf and create a new add-on on our site. Here’s some additional info on add-on distribution.

1 Like

@binodkalathil

Is there any news on this? I have some change requests for the QuickWiki plugin, not least that the key-combination, CTRL+SPACE, conflicts with Wikdiata’s Query service.

Also, searching Wikidata would be useful.