Cannot use Highcharts inside Firefox appextensions

I’m not sure if this is the right forum and in that case please point me to the right place.

UPDATE I used a very minimal version of my extension to dynamically add Highcharts to my HTML. And I think this is a bug in Firefox web-extensions where it cannot render Highcharts.

Here’s a minimal version of the code to reproduce the problem- https://github.com/bluechips23/FirefoxTesting

ORIGINAL ISSUE
I’m having some trouble porting my Google Chrome extension into Firefox web extensions.

I did a code comparison and compatibility check between Chrome extensions and Firefox web-extensions and everything looks good.

In my webextension, when you click on the popup icon, the extension makes an AJAX request and when it gets a response, it generates the results in dynamic DOM elements in the pop-up window. In some cases, it dynamically generates charts using Highcharts.

This works in Chrome and also in Safari. But in Firefox, when I click on the popup, I notice the following sequence in the Firefox’s add-on debugger:

• It makes the AJAX request and receives a response
  • As it is processing through the response and dynamically generates the DOM elements, it freezes - more specifically when it is trying to generate the charts (using HighCharts). It doesn’t show the popup window and it throws the error “Unresponsive script at tabbrowser.xml:5828” (shown below).
  • If the response doesn’t have the charts, the popup-window opens up fine.

Here’s the full error stack on debugger:

Error: Script terminated by timeout at:
    handleEvent@chrome://browser/content/tabbrowser.xml:5828:1
    _handleDOMChange@chrome://extensions/content/ext-browser-content.js:203:7
      tabbrowser.xml:5828:1
    NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE: Component returned failure code: 0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsIMessageSender.sendAsyncMessage]  ext-browser-content.js:213

Here’s the tabbrowser.xml:5828:

<method name="handleEvent">
            <parameter name="aEvent"/>
            <body><![CDATA[   // This switch statement throws error.
              switch (aEvent.type) {
                case "load":
                  this.updateVisibility();
                  TabsInTitlebar.init();
                  break;
                case "resize":
                  if (aEvent.target != window)
                    break;

TabsInTitlebar.updateAppearance();

...[TRUNCATED CODE]...
            ]]></body>
          </method>

Here’s the code at ext-browser-content.js:203

_handleDOMChange(detail) {
       ...[TRUNCATED CODE]...

// LINE BELOW THROWS ERROR
          contentViewer.getContentSizeConstrained(this.maxWidth * ratio,
                                                  this.maxHeight * ratio,
                                                  w, h);

let width = Math.ceil(w.value / ratio);
          let height = Math.ceil(h.value / ratio);

result = {width, height, detail};
        }

sendAsyncMessage("Extension:BrowserResized", result);
      },
    };

Hey guys. Would really appreciate if someone can help me with this. I have been debugging for quite sometime and I believe the problem lies in Firefox add-ons. It’s just simply unable to render the highcharts in the popup window.

I suggest you file a bug report for this, since it looks like you’ve pinpointed the problem.