Amo self-signed issue

My Add-On was taking forever to get reviewed, so I thought I’d give the self-signing a go.
It said it is for add-ons which I won’t distribute with amo, which is fine as long as my users get a working add-on (since mozilla broke my older version with FF 52).
But when I signed the add-on with the web-ext sign command, I got this error message:
"Your add-on has been submitted for review. It passed validation but could not be automatically signed because this is a listed add-on. FAIL"
ok I guess I can’t create a self-signed version using the same id, but why the hell did it create a new version on AMO and disabled my previously submitted version which was awaiting review?

Now I probably have to wait even longer for the add-on to be reviewed, as it got re-added to the queue… is there any way to re-enable the last version which was already a week in the queue?

update:
I just signed a new version where I did not supply the add-on id in the manifest, and it created a new add-on on AMO and uploaded a version there too… I thought the self-signing was supposed to work without AMO?

The self signed process does some automatic validations. If these validations fail, you will see them in AMO. Also I think both listed and unlisted addons are signed with the same key and they need your AMO credentials so self signing is pretty much dependent on AMO.

You can have listed and unlisted versions for the same ID. It sounds like when you submitted it for signing you didn’t specify it was an unlisted version and the system just assumed it was the same channel (listed) as the previous one.