Addon support email address

I added a support email address to my addon in AMO. It would be useful if clicking that generated:
mailto:me@example.com?subject=[Name of addon]
Then I can filter on that.

That’s a cool idea I like that a lot! But I think that subject= thing is custom depending on if the user uses webmail, native application, etc. And if webmail it depends on the webmail service. There’s no standard way to ensure this :frowning:

Just change the support email address to me+addon-name@example.com - most email providers allow an extra tag after a + sign and will direct it to me@example.com still and you can filter on that.

[quote=“noitidart, post:2, topic:4610”]
I think that subject= thing is custom depending on if the user uses webmail, native application, etc
[/quote]The “subject=” format is part of RFC 2368 and its successors (eg RFC 6068).

That’s no guarantee that any particular client or webmail will honour it of course. But it’s probably easy to do and shouldn’t cause any problems.

Another useful option, but requiring more development, would be to enable an ordinary user to send a support request message to the developer, using a text box, and without exposing the developer’s email address. I’ve occasionally had to resort to reporting bugs in a review for lack of any support site or email address - for example on this addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/userunified-script-injector/
It should be optional for the developer, but perhaps they should be encouraged to allow it in the absence of a support address or website - perhaps make it the default.

[quote=“eviljeff, post:3, topic:4610”]
me+addon-name@example.com
[/quote]I tried it - sending an email to myself using gmail’s web interface:

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain daveXXXXX.com by mx00.1and1.co.uk. [212.227.15.41].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

Oh interesting! I didn’t know that. That’s some cool stuff.