Activate Mozilla - Local swag procedure

Hi awesome Reps,

As more and more mozillians are participating in the Activate Mozilla campaign (which is awesome!), the Participation team has ran an experiment with the India community to produce local swag in last October 2016. After a month of experiment, we decided that this is a good time to open this opportunity to the other communities.

As a result, we have arranged a procedure for you to request local swag production in your community. For more info about the procedure, you can read the wiki here https://wiki.mozilla.org/Participation/Projects/Activate_mozilla/Local_Swag.

Activate Mozilla is a good start to contribute in the most important areas to Mozilla right now. We hope this new procedure can help you to get started and unlock new opportunities to other mozillians to contribute in this campaign.

We’re open for any feedback. Please use this discourse topic for comments & further discussion. (:

3 Likes

Hello @kelimuttu! This seems like a process going in the right (decentralised) direction. Is there any reason why a local swag coordinator would need to be a Rep?
Spike

1 Like

Hi @Spike1,

short answer is because they need to file a budget request (which in the mean time, could only be done by Rep) and keeping accountability of it. But, as you can see from the requirements in the wiki that the requester should nominate at least 2 key persons to help them in charge of the swag distribution & keeping the accountability. And the key persons, can be a non Rep for sure. (:

1 Like

Thank you for the response @kelimuttu - I did notice that you had modified the wiki page :wink:

ahaha, yes. Just to make it clearer that the key person’s role is to help the Rep who should be the main person keeping the accountability. (:

1 Like

Interesting this experiment, I have plans to develop many activities next year.

And the shipping refund?

• Should it be calculated based on the location of the planned event or mozillian home and added in the breakdown of the swag?
  • Or should it be requested in a separate budget request for the event?

Hi @geraldobarros ,

Thanks for your question. Yes, you can add the estimation shipping cost in the budget breakdown. So no need to file another request for that. Hope this help! (:

1 Like

@kelimuttu What about the Quality of Swag that we produce locally ? . If we talk about Official Swags they are best in Quality, either if we take example of stickers or t-shirt they are very very good at quality.

Hi @vabajaj2610,

Well, that’s why we require the requester to get quotations from 2 swag vendors. So we can monitor the material, size, and other details of the swag they want to produce. Hope this answer your question. (:

@kelimuttu In my view, quotation doesn’t speak about printing quality, we should first take one sample as a quality check[wash test] because many vendors promises many things before order.
And if we ignore this point of print quality then it spoils Our(Mozilla’s) image among others(to whom we give swags).

Probably a good idea for the local coordinator to build up a collection of examples from different vendors. This way there will be a central dossier to refer back to each time. This would be a good way to create a list of ‘approved vendors’.

@vabajaj2610 It’s indeed tricky to control the quality, especially since it will be produced locally. I don’t know if what you mean here is try to order in small amount or the prove of the items that usually comes before the mass production. But even given that, we still need to get the quotation in order to make sure that the material, size, & finishing, are match of what we desire. But I get your point. We maybe need to add one more review process to check the quality before the mass production.

@Spike1 that would be a great idea. That is something that I do myself in my local community, Indonesia. Sometimes, we even go to a different vendor for different items. Because you know, finding a good vendor is again, tricky.

One advise. Take the budget for producing swags, courier and other things in advance or you will end up putting your money and later you will struggle to get back the reimbursement from Reps. Maintenance, Local production, tracking is not an easy task. You will need dedicated people for each task. Atleast 3 people would be good. If you need any other suggestions then get In touch. I would be happy to help :slight_smile:

3 Likes