Activate Mozilla - e10s Compatibility and Featured Add-ons

This is a topic to talk about the Activate Mozilla ‘e10s Compatibility and Featured Add-ons’ activity. The goal is ensuring add-ons compatibility with the latest browser technology, in this case e10s, so that it can be rolled out to more Firefox users.

More at:
https://activate.mozilla.community/experiments/e10s-addons/

Here you can let us know if you are running the activity, ask questions, or post a summary of your event.

4 Likes

I’ve posted about it in our local Facebook group Mozilla Ukraine today.
Hopefully someone will be interested :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have just tried testing add-ons and the first thing I was noticed is that multiprocess becomes disabled every time after installation of some add-on.
Then I forced multiprocess by creating new Boolean string browser.tabs.remote.force-enable with Value =True in about:config
After that I can install any add-on and test it without removing it every time, when multiprocess becomes disabled again.

So I would suggest to correct the instructions for testing.

Thanks for the report! Somehow the requirement to use Firefox 50 never made it to the final page. We’ll add it.

1 Like

Hello @kinger,

I am updating the results of the Featured Add-ons e10s compatibility sprint which I organised . More than 100 tests has been performed. 68 unique add-ons verified.

More details and participants names can be found in this blog

https://mozillatn.github.io/blog/MozActivate-AMO-e10s-compatibility-sprint-result/

Thanks for having such amazing activites. Hoping to see more exciting things in future. :slight_smile:

Hello @prasanthp96!

Thank you and everyone who participated!

Can you tell me when exaclty your event happened? Is the following from your blogpost accurate?
October 11 2016 - Tuesday. Timing : 7:00-10:00 pm.

Thanks,
Andreas

1 Like

Hy @TheOne

Initially, we planned for 3 hours sprint. As many contributors felt that theyt could not participate, we extended the sprint from 3 hours to the entire week i.e Oct 11 - Oct 16.

Update : As per the request of many contributors the sprint is extented to this weekend ( Oct 16th 2016 ) :) Happy Contributing

Thanks,
Prasanth.

I’m attending an event (“https://reps.mozilla.org/e/e10s-and-featured-add-ons-testing/”) in kolkata , I got a problem while testing add-ons on firefox 50(beta). I’m posting the problem and the solution for that.

If you are seeing “multiprocess is disabled” in new profile or in the default one. This comment is about the steps to enable multiprocess.
STEPS -

go to about:config 

Set browser.tabs.remote.autostart to true. (create a new boolean)

Set browser.tabs.remote.force-enable to true. (create a new boolean)

Restart your firefox and open that profile.

Bingo, You’re done. You’ll have to do this with every new profile you create or may be only once I’m not sure, because It worked for me by creating these variables only once, while some others had to create it separately on every profile.

Something else is wrong. You should not have to modify preferences manually.

Are you sure you are using Firefox 50? Which add-on does this occur with?

Yes, I’m using firefox 50 beta and this problem was with probably all the add-ons.
@TheOne

Actually what I have seen in this meet up is, most of the laptop has same problem. But I did not found that in my laptop. I don’t know why.

1 Like

@rishus23 Can you Please provide an example as well as detailed steps to reproduce the problem?
Please include screenshots as well.

My firefox version is 50.0b11 .
I created a new profile and installed the Add-on Compatibilty Reporter in the new profile. Then, I installed the add-on Bloody Vikings to test.
Now, when I go to about:addons, or click the add-on thumbnail at the top right corner of my screen, I see its written there **Multiprocess** is not enabled. . I’m attaching a screenshot for the reference. @TheOne

Thanks for the screenshot.

So, there are other add-ons installed as well. Is “Ubuntu Modifications” compatible with multiprocess Firefox?

Ubuntu Modifications is not compatible with multiprocess though I tried all those after uninstalling it. but the result remains the same.

So, that’s definitely the culprit. Please disable it, then restart Firefox. Multiprocess should be enabled now.

Also, please test one add-on at a time only.

Actually, I was testing add-ons one at a time but when I saw multiprocess is not enabled. I installed another add-on just to test if the result changes (though It can’t change for that ,of’course) .
So, this time. I don’t know what weird thing happened.
I first disabled the ubuntu modifications in the default profile, then I created the new profile. Now, I saw that in the new profile Its automatically enabled so I disabled it again then restarted (as instructed) and open that profile again. It showed ‘Multiprocess is enabled’. Yeah… So, I thought to completely remove Ubuntu Modifications so that I wouldn’t have to disable and restart every time.
So, I used command sudo apt-get purge xul-ext-ubufox in my terminal to completely remove it. So, I see its removed now. Now I again created a new profile and installed Add-on Compatibility Reporter and an add-on in that new profile. But again I see It says there Multiprocess is not enabled.. In my default profile it says its enabled , I think Its because of those variables I added earlier. But in new profile all those variables don’t get auto-created. One more thing that this problem was also with the windows users(10,8,7).
@TheOne

This campaign is now closed. Thanks to everyone who participated!