[Action] Social media Login

Hello you cant login on a windows phone using persona

would it be possible to add a other way to login to the site like social media login or github or even just user name password style like on [SuMo][1]

Related bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1088762

What’s the problem with Persona?

Apparently Persona doesn’t work on Windows Phone.

We’re not doing plain username/password auth. We don’t want to store any user passwords, I believe I’m the only person who has a password associated with their account.

I’m not sure what we can do about third-party logins. I don’t know of any other Mozilla sites that allow it, so we’ll probably have to add something to our TOS/privacy policy if we were to enable it.

Hello please see Github request to fix it

Would we be able to add ldap login for the contributors who has that or gmail for the google apps as that might be a better option

My concern with other logins is that they collect data about users so they can know they are using this site with their accounts. That’s why Persona only is the best way to respect everyone’s privacy.

I use Persona but tied to my Gmail account.

The available third-party authentication tools are:

• Twitter
  • Google
  • Facebook
  • GitHub

I’ll ask the question differently:

Does providing alternative authentication methods increase participation or lower the barriers to participation?

1 Like

Probably not. Or at least not without Discourse contributors. We don’t yet have anyone who can maintain a fork of Discourse or work on additional plugins to extend Discourse’s capabilities.

I think using phones to login to Persona would be a bit reckless really. If you guys wanna know about a related (well, sorta) thing that happened here during the elections was that many people used their cellphones to try to commit fraud, as the company who made 'em itself was associated with the cracker who could get into it, so it created a bit of a state of panic amongst people - if you’ve had the crack, you could do it by cellphones - easier said than done, but seeing as this was a really heavy election in here - but justice has been done, thankfully - with a lot of manipulation of the media and anything else the PSDB party could do in their power to win and thus create total chaos here, and what with things not being necessarily safe here in Brazil in no way whatsoever concerning internet security (forget about TOR and anything else; we’re completely exposed here, and well, I know enough to prove it but will keep my big mouth shut over THAT issue in particular) - I don’t even think twice that more advanced countries in terms of technology should be careful.

That said, yeah, I oppose the login into anything related to Mozilla with cellphones. Just an advice. Big bro’s watching…

Dan’s post on mozilla.dev.identity suggests that Persona has a limited lifespan.

Do we postpone any additional authentication methods until that issue sorts itself out? Or do we enable alternatives now and let users chose the authentication method they are most comfortable with?

I think we should enable all of the social media services

I know MDN is also doing github login

I hope not, reading the discussion it’s not clear why are they considering this since there are a lot of Mozilla infrastructure that relies on it and there are a lot of external sites supporting it.

Is google (or other social media) login already an option for Discourse (not necessarily our instance)?

By default Discourse has support for Google, twitter, Facebook, github and custom SSO.

@majken Yes its enabled by default but you need to add them at the admin CP side of this

PS I think what this is a good idea to enable other social media stuff like google as we all use google Auth for the accounts or some might use LDAP or would be good for a IRC login lol but that wont happen well cant see it happening

Note on auth: You need to request/generate a auth key from each service in order to set up these authentications.

If we allow auth from other services will it interfere with our plans to give permissions based on Mozillians? Would people be able to create the account with Persona on desktop and log in using Google on mobile?

Hello!

No, but I would have to modify the method I’m currently using. (Though I might have to change that method anyway, if we want to be able to link any [or every!] Mozillians group to any Discourse group).

I’ve been able to (in a local dev instance) create an account with normal email/password authentication and then login with Persona, so I think so.

Persona support being retired (for whatever bizarre reason) isn’t only a problem for us. What are other Mozilla sites doing about it? I know MDN has just enabled github authentication. What is Mozillians doing about it? Might @williamr know? Is there any possiblity of us using Firefox Accounts?

Yes, we will want to have discussion groups limited based on Mozillians groups, so if that change means we can use google login as well, then that is a step towards being able to do this.

I just tested on my son’s Windows phone and was able to log in just fine. Can someone else test on Windows Phone and let us know if it works or doesn’t?

Until we get confirmation that it’s broken for some people we aren’t going to pursue other login options.

Hi it was on windows mobile 8.0

Also I am now on android using my phone