Reps Portal Update: Functional Areas

Hello awesome Reps

In to order align with Mozilla’s current structure and to enable you to report your activities more efficiently, the council decided to update the functional areas on the portal.

The current functional areas are the following:

• Addons
  • Advocacy / Policy
  • Campus (renamed from Students)
  • Connected Devices
  • Creative
  • Diversity and Inclusion (renamed from Womoz)
  • Firefox (renamed from Firefox Mobile and Firefox Desktop, it includes all Firefox products related activities)
  • Localization
  • Location Services
  • Marketing (renamed from Product Marketing)
  • Mozilla Leadership Network (renamed from Mozilla Learning Network)
  • Mozilla Reps
  • MozVR (new)
  • Participation (this includes community activities like recruIting new Mozillians and having community meetings)
  • Privacy
  • Quality Assurance
  • Security
  • Technical Evangelism
  • User Support

Functional Areas that were disabled due to merging:

• Coding, Web Development, Technical Evangelism, Developer Tools, Developer Documentation, Tech Speakers. All these activities are now under Tech Evangelism
  • User Engagement, Engagement, Public Relations. All these activities are now under Marketing

Do you have any questions/feedback? Let’s discuss here :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hey @rara,

Thanks for the update!

What currently we focused to with Location service? https://location.services.mozilla.com/

Thank you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Under Tech evangelism I think that is not the best option because a patch is not evangelism but only a volunteer activity.

Also here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rghXJw4ulgmvFlEnm75p84F5KdXYqKYkTIE2F_grYaw/edit we proposed other changes

I think that Mozilla Science is missing in that list but I love that list that simplify so much everything!

Niiice, it’s great when things get simplified.

How about further reducing from these 20 categories to something in the range of 5-8?

Of course the Mozilla Project is a massive colossus with lots of different functional areas. Are we sure all of them need to be represented in such a granular detail in our Reps Portal?

-Henrik

• If you teach how to code that would be Mozilla Leadership Network.
  • If you teach about a Mozilla language or technology, that would be Tech Evangelism.
  • If you contribute to code, that would be under the Mozilla product you are contributing code to.
1 Like

This make sense, in that way the functional areas are generic but involve everything about it and there are no areas that cover the aspect of the others.

Hmm, not sure if it feels right when all coding and technical work is counted as “evangelism”, as I see a big difference in in-community work (like coding and other tech contribution) or outreach work (like actual evangelism) - but maybe it just doesn’t matter. I sometime even wonder why we have to forcibly put those categories on every bit of our reporting and why we have to select a single one while multiple may apply. I’d much rather have a flexible tagging system for my reports - but that goes off to the whole “rework reporting” topic.

Interesting, do you have an example in mind? The activity name + category should cover the whole picture, like “Wrote an article” (activity) + “Creative” (category).

We want to also improve the activity list, and we are currently checking it.

Say, I’m planning a meetup of the local community and trying to get more people involved there (participation) and seeing that I get an impulse topic on there about a development topic (counted as either Tech Evang or Firefox or both, I guess) and also talking there about changecopyright.org (Advocacy/Policy). Would be good if I could note all different areas involved. I also had the cases where I didn’t know which one this could even fall into - but in doubt, what I do as a Rep is probably Participation of some form.

Then it’s just participation, you are building a community around the topics, not contributing (yet) to the areas. Doing the activities later by individuals would go under the corresponding category each.

1 Like

@hmitsch, my gut feeling is that as you read through the list, you probably so some that could further be compressed. You could suggest what the breakdown of 5 - 8 could be with reasons why and the wise council would consider this for approval.

I agree we should simplify this, do you have any ideas on how group the above ones without confusing people about the type of activities initiatives match each category?

Just small last minute changes based on feedback received:

• MozVR renamed to WebVR
  • Privacy merged with Advocacy and Policy
  • Emerging Technologies have been added to includes things like Rust and Servo
1 Like

A Nice way to clear doubts . Thanks @nukeador . However which is perfect container for first sentence “If You teach how to code” , since we having a focus area based on this statement i.e Maker Party.

Note that Maker Party has switched focus and this year will be focused on Copyright (starting with Europe’s Copyright reform)